Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network between XP and Windows 7.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

I want to make a network with my Windows XP computer and my Windows 7 computer.  They are side by side and the Westell 7500 wired dsl router sits on top of one of the computers, everything is on one desk.  The Windows XP is a HP DC7600 and the Windows 7 is generic with an ASUS motherboard.  Can I make this network and keep the Windows XP computer protected from the internet at all times?  I would use the Windows 7 for connecting to the internet.  I know absolutely nothing about networks, so anything will be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

If you plug the XP PC into the router, it's going to get online or be capable of doing so. I'm unsure what you mean by "protected from the internet at all times". 

If you don't want the XP PC on the internet at all, you'd need to buy the Win 7 machine another network card(NIC), buy a crossover cable, connect the XP to the Win 7's new NIC, and set IP addresses. Then your XP pc would be connected to Win 7 but not to the internet.  

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

OK, that is what I want. So to do this I can't use the nic that is already on the win 7 machine?  I use the ethernet on the new NIC to connect to the other computer?  Not sure what you mean by set IP addresses, I shouldn't need one on the XP machine, should I?

Edited by yellowdog5, 02 March 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#4 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

How can I tell which NIC cards are compatible with my ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3?  There are some good deals on Ebay, but I don't know what to get :(

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

Can I make this network and keep the Windows XP computer protected from the internet at all times?

What specifically do you mean by this?

Do you mean you do not want the XP machine to be able to connect to the Internet at all?

Or do you mean that you don't mind it being connected to the Internet, but want some sort of protection from the Internet (i.e. firewall)?

If you mean the former, then I believe the double network card on the Windows 7 computer that CaveDweller2 should do that assuming you don't turn on Internet connection sharing. I assume this would work, but don't have any direct experience with this approach.

If you mean the latter, then just connect the XP machine to the router. The router will act as a firewall and in general should be enough protection for incoming traffic, but if you want to be extra safe, then install a software firewall on the XP computer. The XP computer would still be able to "go out to" the Internet. You could potentially prevent this by configuring the software firewall to prevent outgoing Internet connections, but allow connections to the Windows 7 computer…depending on the software firewall that you use.

#6 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

To clarify, I don't want the XP computer on the internet at all.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

To clarify, I don't want the XP computer on the internet at all.

Then the option that CaveDweller2 offered is likely your best bet.

As for the second NIC, any PCI or PCIe NIC or even a USB NIC should work.

As to how to set it up, as I said I don't have any direct experience with such a setup, so you likely will have to have CaveDweller2 help you with that if you need help. I could likely figure it out, but having him help you would likely be faster/easier.

#8 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

OK here's one I am interested in on Ebay, will it work?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106072

Edited by yellowdog5, 02 March 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

As long as you have a PCI slot open it's all good. How much they asking?

As far as the settings that you'll need we can wait till you have it installed and working to worry about them.

You are using the on-board NIC in the Win7 box to connect to the internet (oooo spooky) so you need another NIC to connect to the XP PC. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

You are using the on-board NIC in the Win7 box to connect to the internet (oooo spooky)

Why is it spooky?  It is an auction so I think I can  get it pretty cheap, but I have to wait a couple of days.

Edited by yellowdog5, 02 March 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

I dunno, you're the one that doesn't want their XP pc online.....hehe j/k couldn't resist 

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:35 AM

I''m not sure if you mean networked or share files...

Tekken

#13 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Yes, I mean share files, I want to use some of the old XP programs and then transfer the files to the Win7 computer.  I am the only user.   I would still need the above mentioned hardware, right?  What is the difference between network and share files?

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

What do you mean use old programs? Use the XP machine and run old programs then transfer the saved outputs in your Windows 7 computer?

Tekken

#15 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

What do you mean use old programs? Use the XP machine and run old programs then transfer the saved outputs in your Windows 7 computer?

Exactly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users