Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bringing files and programs from one partition to another.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

I have an old computer (systemmax with 500 GB hard drive dual core, 2.2 gh processor, and 2 gb ram, if I haven't mixed up the last two)   with an XP OS on it having trouble with .net1.1  .  Over a year ago the .net1.1 file got partially overwritten (according to a couple IT techs, one of which I paid for the diagnosis from), and I haven't been able to update it, or several other programs since.  I've tried a couple of the fixes for .net problems listed here, but they didn't help.  Also Microsoft informed me of a different fix that didn't work.  They also told me my .net file had been partially overwritten.  I bought a new windows 8.1 desktop which I've not got used to yet, altho my wife like it fine, with all my files on.    Thru my mess ups (my speciality), I now have 3 partitions.  All my files are also on a linux partition, so all I can lose are my programs, which I don't have all the disks and files to reinstall.  I have one empty partition almost big enough to move everything to with just a new XP OS from the disk I got with the computer.  If I enlarge it enough to fit everything on it.  Is there a way I can drag the programs and files to it and then clean and re install the OS or a different one, on the first hard drive.   I prefer the XP OS to any of my others, and would like to keep it going as long as microsoft will send updates for it.  Also I struggle with simple directions working on computers, I almost became bald partitioning and installing linux mint, so I might need help doing even the simple things.  Thank you,  You guys have bailed me out on this computer with linus and other things before and I appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

...  I prefer the XP OS to any of my others, and would like to keep it going as long as microsoft will send updates for it.

Microsoft's support for XP ends in 37 days.

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

I'm probably wrong again, but I thought I read that since so many businesses had it and it would cost so much, they would give it til sometime in 2015.  Someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm not saying you are wrong, but I've been hearing both ways for a couple months.  Seems like I read it in a business report somewhere.

#4 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

Microsoft.com > Support for Windows XP ends in:

37 days, 3 hours, 36 minutes and 15 seconds

Edited by SpywareDoctor, 01 March 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Article

Louis

#6 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Yes, Microsoft is extending support for Microsoft Security Essentials for XP until April 15, 2015.

Support for Windows XP (and Office 2003) ends on Apri 8, 2014.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

Ok, thanks for the info.  I had assumed it was the same thing.  Programs aren't compatible with 8.1, so I guess I can use the whole computer for other stuff now.  

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

To your question, most programs can't just be dragged from one computer and dropped into another. When you install a program it makes changes to the registry, and may load files into common areas or documents and settings, and stuff like that (which you would then be missing on the new computer and the software wouldn't run properly). Only "portable" programs can be dragged around like that, such as old video games, or software utilities that are specifically portable or didn't have installers.

#9 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

It's not to a different computer, just a different partition, and I didn't think there was, but thought I's ask anyway.  I've got a lot of old programs, adobe photoshop cs2 etc.  Others were downloads not available anymore.  Once I get to know a program I don't see any reason to have to learn a new one, that isn't that much better, just costs more money.  Guess I'm just an old  and set in my ways.  

#10 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

It's not to a different computer, just a different partition

As far as the software is concerned it might as well be another computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users