Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UEFI Secure Boot May Cause Windows Updates to Fail With Error Code 0x800F0922

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bluediamond

Bluediamond

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Here's a Trick i been using on a lot of UEFI computer ESPECIALLY new SAMSUNG's i discovered it once when playing with the BIOS on this one unit i had and its been working flawlessly ever since.

Symptoms:

When installing Windows 8/8.1 updates on a UEFI based computer from OEMs like Sony, Samsung, HP, Acer, Asus, and Lenovo; the installation of the updates may Fail on reboot with an error code of 0x800F0922 or no error code at all just, failed after downloading updates.

Error Code:

• 800F0922
  • 0x800F0922
  • The queue you specified does not exist.

Cause:

The problem is caused by a conflict between KB2871690 and the way the OEM has implemented their Secure Boot Component for UEFI Compliance. KB2871690 is an update that includes updating core UEFI boot and security components which for some reason causes a conflict with the Secure Boot UEFI Component/Module on the computer. This issue does not occur on all UEFI based computers that utilize Secure Boot, so the full technical "why" is unknown at this time. The current theory is that the OEM has used some sort of custom code in their Secure Boot implementation that trips up the defualt Microsoft UEFI boot components.

Resolution/Workaround:

Currently, the best course of action is to work around the conflict until a UEFI update is made avaialble from the OEMs to resolve the root cause.

1. Hide the update KB2871690 via the Windows Update in Control Panel or PC Settings
  2. Install all avaialble Windows Updates except KB2871690.
  3. Boot to the computer's UEFI/BIOS Setup Utility and Disable Secure Boot
  4. Unhide and install KB2871690
  5. Upon completion of the update, boot in to the computer's UEFI/BIOS Setup Utility and Enable Secure Boot

Or you can wait for the computer to revert boot into BIOS directly Disable Secure BOOT, log in to the unit update it and then go back in to BIOS and Enable Secure Boot.

That should work without issues, i have not had any issues with units when using this method.

Edited by Charles.Pineda, 01 March 2014 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DougCuk

DougCuk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

It appears that this problem is not restricted to just the one identified KB update.

I just had this problem on a re-imaged Win8 Toshiba laptop - when running Windows Update for the first time.

Windows Update located 97 KB updates - of which 93 failed with error 800F0922 

However KB2871690 was not present in this first batch of updates

The computer was stuck in a loop of Install, configure, reboot, configure and then revert for several hours.

A real pain in the backside - as I was about to return it to its owner after a warranty repair. 

So I decided to try the "Disable Secure Boot" work-around anyway - as I could find no other advice to fix this WU error

All the updates installed without a problem once Secure Boot was disabled,

The prospect of testing 93 updates one by one - many of which required a restart to complete the install 

was just too much - so I have no proof of which update was the culprit.

*** UPDATE ***  

MS do document a potential UEFI Secure Boot issue with the original KB2871690 from December 2013

They also document the same issue again for KB2920189 and KB2961908 from May 2014

The first of these two was in the batch of updates that failed on my system.

All three of these KB updates were issued to "revoke noncompliant UEFI modules" - and suffer the same potential problem.

The error only occurs on some OEM systems - the problem seems to be due to the specific UEFI BIOS code.  

But until MS fix the KB update code the error is likely to happen each time a similar KB update is installed on affected systems.  

Be aware that ALL the updates in the batch will fail with error 800F0922 even though only one triggers the error.

Therefore all the updates get Reverted (Uninstalled) - with no specific update identified as the cause.

Edited by DougCuk, 18 August 2014 - 05:12 AM.

#3 Bluediamond

Bluediamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

So glad this worked for you this is why we are here.
So glad this worked for you this is why we are here.

#4 adamTO

adamTO

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

@Bluediamond - Thanks for this fix. I've been chasing this issue for 8 months now. The MS forums lead everyone on a wild goose chase with changing partition sizes, uninstalling vpn software, uninstalling AV software, contacting MS support, clean booting, etc, etc, etc.

I was getting these errors installing KB2919355 and the solution above fixed the "unable to install... rolling back" issue. THANK YOU!

Here are the log items in case someone else stumbles upon this forum

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2962409).

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355).

#5 Bluediamond

Bluediamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

I'm glad it helped man, I posted it for this very purpose to save countless hours of frustration and failures.

#6 Iced42

Iced42

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:46 AM

Just want to say thanks, disabling secure boot worked. Sure would be nice if MS, would fix the problem. Who knows maybe after a

20 to 30 percent drop in sales, they may just hear that pop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users