Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No duel boot menu after Windows 7 install.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mameigwess

Mameigwess

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

I'm tempting to install Windows 7 on a separate drive to duel boot with XP. The install went fine as did a complete download of updates.   When I did a restart Windows 7 failed to bring up a boot menu and the computer booted directly into XP.  It was then I realized that when I was using GParted I had forgot to set the Windows 7 partition with a boot flag.  Don't know if that had anything to do with it but a boot menu still does not automatically come up.  If I manually bring up the boot menu (F8) and and select the Windows 7 partition it says "BootMGR is missing.  I tried doing a repair with the Windows 7 disk but still no luck.  Did I goof up the install?  Is there something I missed in GParted?  What would happen if I did a complete, not a repair, install?

Mameigwess

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2014 - 01:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Still no luck.  Here's what I've tried.  From the CMD I entered "bootrec/fixboot" and it did nothing.  I also entered "bootrec/rebuildbcd" and got a "Total Identified Windows Installations:0".  When I asked the Windows install disk for a CMD prompt it came up with this path, "X:\sources".  Should I have changed directories?

When I found out I could boot into my installed copy of Windows 7 using the Windows 7 disk I added and ran EasyBCD.  I had it do a BCD repair and then Window 7 would not boot at all and I had to use the install disk to repair the installed Windows 7.

Mameigwess

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Exactly what did you do in EasyBCD?  Did EasyBCD see both installs...did you elect a default O/S to boot into?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#4 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

In EasyBCD I tied "Reset BCD configuration" with no change.  I then tried "Re-create/repair boot files" which when I went to boot Windows 7 using the install disk cause Windows 7 to not boot until I did a repair.  EasyBCD does not see Windows XP.  Also, under "Computer" in Windows 7 the hard drives with XP on it shows up as an un-formated drive.  I suspect it's the RAID 0 setup since I found out Windows 7 Home edition does not support RAID.  My RAID setup is hardware if that makes any difference.  

Mameigwess

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

EasyBCD does not see Windows XP.  Also, under "Computer" in Windows 7 the hard drives with XP on it shows up as an un-formated drive.

There is the problem that you should be addressing, IMO.

You cannot dual-boot...an O/S that is not reflected as being installed.

I don't know the source of your statement...but Win 7 and RAID coexist peacefully, see Links .

And so does EasyBCD and RAID.

Louis

#6 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

I saw the statement about Windows 7 Home and RAID on a couple of different sites but they were both a couple of years old.  The first site under your link is talking about RAID and Windows 7 Pro which from what I have read does support RAID.  Not sure how hardware (motherboard) Raid works.  I do know that when booting into Windows 7 using the install disk I can see that the RAID setup has been installed during the boot process prior to the Windows 7 install.  I've tried different things in EasyBCD and it just does not see XP.

If I go in the BIOS and change the boot order Windows XP will boot.  In XP I can see the Windows 7 drive and the files.

I'm going to be offline the rest of the day.  Have a birthday party to go to.  Thanks for the help so far.

Mameigwess

#7 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

I am beginning to think I have 2 problems.  One, Windows 7 not booting, and two, Windows 7 not seeing XP on the RAID 0 drives.  I did some checking and it looks like Windows 7 Home does not support RAID 0, only JBOD and Raid 1.  One would think it would make no difference since I'm using a hardware RAID and Windows should only see a single HD.  Anyway, I would like to solve the Windows 7 not booting problem, first.

I want to mention what I had posted in another thread and received no reply.  When looking at the SSD with GParted this is what the drop down window in GParted says about my SSD.

1dev/sdb      111.79 GiB

1dev/sdc       111.79 GiB

1dev/sdd       111.79 GiB

When I look at the information for sdb it looks normal.  The information for sdc and sdd show the whole 111.79 GiB as being unallocated for both Partition and File System.  Why would I see 3 drives in GParted for the SSD when my other drives, including the RAID 0 pair as a single drive, look normal.  BTW If it makes any difference I formatted the SSD using my laptop.  Edit: I should have mentioned that my SSD has only 1 partition and it's 111.79 GiB.

This is an image from Windows 7 looking at my desktop.  Drive C is the partition containing Windows 7 with drive G being the second partition on the same drive.  Drives E and F are 2 partitions on an IDE drive.  Drive D is the RAID 0 pair which Windows says is an un-formatted drive.  I'm not going to worry about that for now because I would like to get Windows to boot.

c0a6f703-eff2-4355-9823-88208280c128_zps

Mameigwess

Edited by Mameigwess, 03 March 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#8 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

When I try to use EasyBCD to setup a duel boot this is what I see.  Windows 7 in 2 different places.

2b56b657-6a10-4125-b916-aee5b10c5c35_zps

Also look at this next snapshot.  Drive 0 is my SSD.  It should be formatted to NTFS and have 2 partitions.  For some reason drive 3 which has Windows XP on it in a RAID 0 configuration looks to be unformatted to both Windows 7 and EasyBCD.

a6ad7ca5-18ba-4e13-bd65-da0f73f5517c_zps

Mameigwess

#9 billman87

billman87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

There are a few ways to do this.

Guide 1 (I prefer the second method)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Guide 2

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_windows_7_xp_installed_first.htm

Guide 3

http://www.computershopper.com/software/howto/windows-7/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-xp

Good Luck

#10 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Merged with previous topic - Hamluis.

I can't seem to find the answer to why my new Windows 7 install won't boot except that I get some conflicting information about the SSD I installed it on.  I've tried EasyBCD with no luck.  Windows did install because it will boot using the install disk and will even do updates.  What I'm thinking of doing is reformating the SSD and re-installing Windows.  Can I do this?  Is there anything I should know?  Will Windows or Microsoft block the install?  

Mameigwess

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2014 - 09:59 AM.
Merged - Hamluis.

#11 Nostromov

Nostromov

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

Did you give FixBoot && FixMbr a whirl..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

If you have legal installs with valid licenses...and intend to do a clean install...and there are no hard drive problems...the only suggestion I would make is to install the older O/S first (without secondary drives attached)...then install the second O/S (Win 7).

Windows 7 does not have to be on a separate drive, just a separate partition.  Each O/S requires its own partition.  You can use two drives for each install, but it's not necessary and I see no advantage to such.

Louis

#13 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Guide1 is the one I used.  Guide 2, I can't get into the Window PE 2.0.  I think my F10 button is broke.  Guide 3 didn't work either.  You have to remember that Windows 7 think the drive with the RAID 0 setup and XP is un-formatted.

Mameigwess

#14 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Did you give FixBoot && FixMbr a whirl..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

"fixboot"  and "fixmbr" both say it's successful but no change.  Tried "rebuildbcd".  It says that there is no Windows installed.

#15 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

If you have legal installs with valid licenses...and intend to do a clean install...and there are no hard drive problems...the only suggestion I would make is to install the older O/S first (without secondary drives attached)...then install the second O/S (Win 7).

Windows 7 does not have to be on a separate drive, just a separate partition.  Each O/S requires its own partition.  You can use two drives for each install, but it's not necessary and I see no advantage to such.

Louis

Yes, I have a legal OEM disk with the pretty edges.  Again remember that Windows 7 does not see XP and that Gparted thinks my Windows 7 drive is 3 drives.  Plus "rebuildbcd" says there's no Windows.  So here's what I'm thinking of doing.  Get rid of the RAID and install an XP image on a single HD.  Re-formatting, plus partition, my Windows 7 SSD, checking to see that GParted see only 1 drive.  Then re-installing Windows 7 hoping it doesn't complain.

I need one more question answered.  To install an image you need a HD at least as large as the one the image came from no matter how much actual data the drive held. Is that correct?

Mameigwess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users