Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Messenger Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lulubelle

lulubelle

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

I have just recently started using MSN Messenger 7.5, however the video is freezing up quite often and the audio is either non existant or fading in and out .I am on 2MB broadband connection and my firewall is set to allow the program. I have gone through the audio/video set-up wizard and the hardware side is working OK, I know that it is something wrong on my PC as my friends can all communicate with each other in audio and video. Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

do you use yahoo as well? if so, try to use your vid and audio functions there to see if you can isolate the issue to msn mesenger7.5. if not, or same issues, check your hardware ,webcam, mic,speakers to ensure their functionality. if msn messenger is the issue, you need to uninstall it, and hope you can find msn messenger 7.0 somewhere and dl/install it. then if you want, you can upgrade from 7.0 to 7.5 . sounds strange, but i have fixed plenty of msn issues that way. i had a hard time finding it, but i have it saved, so if you need msn 7.0 PM me, and i can email it to you.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

Another way to get an older version which may work better, of many apps is here, not just MSN. http://www.oldversion.com/ Also some members may not want to give out their email addresses.

Be (new is not always better) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:16 AM

Issues in MSN abound. :thumbsup:
I can tell you it doesn't like packet scheduling enabled, known to cause what you're describing.
If you still suffer the issue after the above suggestions, try disabling it.
To do so, open Network Connections in control panel.
Right-click your connection , select Properties.
Clear the QoS Packet Scheduler check box, ok and reboot.
Are you using a router by chance too?

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

i do agree that members shouldnt give out email addys in the public forums. you do have the decision to give it in a private message (PM). personally animal, i am not into spamming.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

Snapper,

I in no way intended to infer you were spamming. If you did get that impression, I apologize. I only posted that link for other members who may be too shy, or even those who are not registered and do not have the ability to PM a means of getting another version. This thread will live on long after we are both gone and one needs alternative means. Thank You for your contributions Snapper and keep up the good work.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, still in progress...... :thumbsup:

Be ( alternative methods) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:32 PM

lol, sorry, bit sensitive eh? thats what i get for staring at the screen and cursing all day!!
u r however right about spammers and bots

#8 lulubelle

lulubelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:07 PM

Thanks everybody for all your help and suggestions. I contacted Microsoft about the problems, and they seemed to think that amongst other things, it could be that the ports that messenger needs to have a webcam conversation are closed.However, my firewall (BitDefender) has opened all the ports that are needed. I have just sent an e-mail to microsoft informing them of this, and I now await a reply.
Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users