Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64 Bit Cpu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swas

swas

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

Hi all, What is the difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit cpu???

thanks

swas
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

What is the difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit cpu???

32 bits! :thumbsup:

I'm sorry, but that was just too good to pass up. :flowers:

For years we've been using 32 bit processors and 32 bit operating systems.
(Windows 98/SE, ME, XP, etc.)
That means that each command is 32 bits long.

Now, we're on the virge of getting a whole new OS with commands that will be 64 bits long.
A 32 bit processor, just won't run those commands. You'll need a 64 bit processor for that.
A 64 bit CPU will, however, run the older 32 bit commands.
That's called "Backward Compatibility", something we've long had and enjoyed.

I'm still running Windows Xp-Pro/SP2, a 32 bit OS so I'm not too worried about it.....YET.

I just built a new PC for a friend of mine and local business man, with the new AMD 64 bit processor in it.
For now he's using Windows XP, but when he wants to upgrade to Vista, some day, He'll have a CPU that will run that 64 bit OS. All we'll have to do is double or maybe quadruple the amount of ram.

Does that help you any? God, I hope so, cause that's about all I know about it. :trumpet:

Happy Mother's Day,
The Shadow :inlove:

Edited by The Shadow, 14 May 2006 - 03:23 PM.

For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

The register size. A 32 bit register versus a 64 bit register. The processor has the numbers it is working with stored in registers. In a 32 bit register the biggest number that can fit is 2^32 = 4 294 967 296. If the number gets bigger than that it has to start approximating, which is less precise, or you have to divide it up in many parts and calculate them separately, which takes longer. Then again, a 64 bit register can fit a 2^64 number, which is much bigger.

The issue with 32 bit versus 64 bit is usually memory address space. In your RAM memory every block of memory gets its own number, its own address, which is stored in a register. It just so happened that with 2^32 you've got enough addresses for 4 gigabytes worth of memory, and considering that I for example have 2 gigabytes of memory we are hitting the wall. It all started back in the 60s or 70s when they decided that 32 bit would be a nice registry size, it wasn't like anybody would ever have 4 gigabytes of memory. Yeah, well, they were wrong, so now they are bumping it up to 64 bit which should be enough, it is not like anybody will ever have 16 exabytes of memory, which is what you can have with 64 bit registers.

To actually have use of the 64 bit registers you need a 64 bit OS, 64 bit drivers and 64 bit programs.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:38 PM

thanks for clearing that up guys, it finally makes sense now :thumbsup:

swas
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

0 user(s) are reading this topic