Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 oxojohn

oxojohn

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

I have downloaded two screen capture programs, and when I try to capture a screen, the programs only show a blank black screen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

What are these programs?

If you are trying to capture images on your computer you could use the Windows snipping tool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

dc3 is completely 100% right. You don't need fancy programs. I use the PrtSc key or Alt + PrtSc to capture a window. I then paste them into paint. I do this when I want to do some simple editing such as add text or arrows, etc. Or You can use the snipping tool. Simple and easy to use.

Of course these only work for Static images. If You want to capture video that is a different thing.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

What are these programs?

If you are trying to capture images on your computer you could use the Windows snipping tool.

Many thanks again dc3 for stepping in to help.

I have used the print screen, but I wanted something that I can select just an area to cut out, without doing any more work.

I did not know the snipping tool even existed, so after finding it, I was amazed that it had the facility to cut a particular area out, which is just what I am looking for.

But,,,,, on opening the snipping tool, I now get a grey screen with a little box in it, giving the option to capture a new screen, when I drag the cursor to form an area to cut out of the gray screen,

the cut out area shows up as just black.

Sorry to be such a pain.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

No pain.  See if these instructions help.

Please use the Snipping Tool to copy the image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and click on save .

Using the Snipping Tool to copy an image. 

To open the Snipping tool click on the Start orb, then type snipping tool in the search box.  Snipping Tool will appear above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.  

Before you open the Snipping Tool have the image you want to copy one the destop, then open the Snipping Tool.

A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  

After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.    

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

I am sorry dc3 but I may have more problems. The snipping tool works just fine when I first log on, but after about 3 to 4 snips, it only then shows a grey coloured screen when trying to use the snipping tool, the little (+) stills shows up on the grey screen, but when you draw a shape with it on the grey screen, it produces a blank black square for the cut out shape.

I have tried this several times and it only works for a few snips, but only when I first log on, also the "Print Screen" facility now does not work ?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

I just used it six consecutive times here and didn't have a single problem.  Are you clicking on Save as, naming it, and saving it before continuing?

Another option would be to make a screen shot.  The instructions below include the means of posting an image in a topic here at Bleeping Computer.  This can be used with any image, including image generated with the snipping tool.

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

#8 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

I downloaded A Thousand Words .And the same thing happens also in Donation Coder, Picpick, and Snipping Tool, it just shows a blank black screen shot, also Print Screen will also not work.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

Just for testing purposes uninstall Donation Coder and Picpick.  After they are uninstalled see if the problem continues.

#10 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Just for testing purposes uninstall Donation Coder and Picpick.  After they are uninstalled see if the problem continues.

Hi dc3, I have already done that,  but unfortunately it's just the same.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

Try doing a system restore to a restore point prior to the download of these two programs.

#12 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Will do now. thanks.

#13 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I have done as you said dc3, and as usual when I first log-on, it takes a screen capture OK for about three to four times

before reverting back to taking a blank black screen. this time using the Snipping tool.

#14 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Screen Shots.........One from Picpick and the other from the Snipping Tool.

If you click on each of the black square's it will show what program it came from.  ( I just found that out ) lol

SnippingToolCapture_zps1fbd719f.png

Attached Files

Edited by oxojohn, 03 March 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

What happens if you use the snipping tool once, close it, open it again and use, and so on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users