Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TFC taking a long time

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 The Brush Geek

The Brush Geek

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I'm working on a customers Windows Vista computer that was badly infected with all sorts of adware and other malware. After manually removing some of the most obvious offenders with RevoUninstaller, I then proceeded to run MalwareBytes.

MalwareBytes ran for over 40 hours and seemed to be hung up with processing temporary internet files (I could see the filenames changing so figure it was still working albeit very slowly), so I finally aborted the scan and had it clean up what it had found to that point. Then rebooted the system.

Thinking that the next thing to do would be to run TFC and see if I couldn't get rid of some of that internet history (so I could then re-attempt the scan and hope for a successful completion). I started that running from my flash drive as I usually do. It seemed to run fine processing through some of the user accounts but when it got to the user account that is used most of the time and finding 137GB (yes I said gigabytes) of temporary files it seemed to hang there. The disk activity light seems to be on solid and nearly 15 hours later there doesn't seem to be any progress and the program title bar now says that the program is not responding. There has been no noticeable change for the last 12+ hours.

I would have expected with that much to delete it would take some time and wondered what that might do to the Recyle bin, etc., but does this sound normal????

At this point, neither the desktop or any Windows menus, etc. are showing but I'm able to Ctrl-Alt-Del and get task manager running. It shows TFC as using somewhere between 0 and 2% CPU cycles and not much else going on. I've listened to the hard drive via a stethoscope and don't seem to hear any disk activity happening.

It would seem at this point that my only option is to force TFC to end via the Task Manager or initiate a power down and reboot.

Does anyone have any idea at what state this may leave the filesystem in (e.g. should I expect major filesystem corruption)?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users