Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation of Win7 on different computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shockhazard

shockhazard

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hi,

I home built my first system in July '13 as a gaming system.

I bought and installed an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit which was/is more than adequate for that use.

I would like to update this system to Windows 7 Professional to gain access to more than 16GB of RAM to now use it as my Digital Audio Workstation.

I'm trying to figure out what the best course of action is and either my googling skills are diminishing  :scratchhead:  or my specific query is just not out there:

• If I purchase an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional and do a clean install, will I be able to use the original Home Premium Disc and it's product key on a different computer?

• If I purchase a Home Premium to Professional upgrade, will I be able to use the original Home Premium Disc and it's product key on a different computer?

Thanks in advance for any help you may afford me.

*Edited out second portion of question, found that answer. I put it back as there were people already reading/quoting it.

Edited by shockhazard, 01 March 2014 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

If you used an OEM version and are trying to install it on another PC  than according to the licensing model it cannot be transferred to another computer. However Microsoft rarely seems to enforce this so often it can be done but there are no guarantees. You may need to talk to a rep to get it to work.  The only way to know for sure is to try.

If you do an upgrade than you cannot use the Home OS on any other computer.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

If I purchase an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional and do a clean install, will I be able to use the original Home Premium Disc and it's product key on a different computer?

If I purchase a Home Premium to Professional upgrade, will I be able to use the original Home Premium Disc and it's product key on a different computer?

Well...first of all...going from Home Premium to Professional won't gain you much in terms of additional features...and both operating systesm will use the RAM installed with no decided advantage.  They are both 64-bit O/Ses...there will be no increased usage of RAM installed...such results only when going from 32-bit to 64-bit O/S.

Answer to Question 1:  No, you need to read the license agreement for whatever version of Windows you fancy.

Answer to Question 2:  A System Builder/OEM key is not the same as a retail key, which is normally legally transferrable to another system if original system is no longer in use., so legally you are not supposed to transfer that key.

Louis

#4 shockhazard

shockhazard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the help, I appreciate your time.

Home Premium is limited to 16GB of RAM and I didn't learn of this until after I bought more and installed it :ranting:

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Tell me if I am wrong (for a long time) I have purchased upgrades when putting a sys togther and used any Win OS I had in my box of tricks for a kicker disk for when it asks for verification.  All I do is remove the new media pop in the old disk MS checks to see if it is good then pull it and continue, I can not count how many years or sys's I have done that way.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

The determining factor for the maximum amount of RAM is the limitation or maximum amount that the motherboard will support.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 shockhazard

shockhazard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

From my Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard specs:

• Memory 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Support for DDR3 1600/1333 MHz memory modules
  • Support for non-ECC memory modules
  • Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

I originally had 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600, and added matching 16GB (2x8) for a total of 24GB, but only 16 is usable.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Unless you are doing something which is very high in resource use I seriously doubt that you will see an appreciable difference.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 shockhazard

shockhazard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

I am anticipating very high resource use in my DAW :guitar: :)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

FWIW:  http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=87156  and http://www.hardware-revolution.com/high-end-workstation-dual-cpu-ssd-nvidia-quadro-tesla-esi-julia-xte/ , seems to depend o preference.

Louis

#11 shockhazard

shockhazard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the added info Louis.

The first link takes me to a thread that is already more than 2 years old. That, added to the fact that I would like to keep this system in operation for a fairly long time, and the fact that I may incorporate video editing into the mix, I feel it would be smart to make the upgrade.

I also may find that I will have issues with some of my older software, so I'm looking forward to the XP compatibility mode in 7 Pro.

I can't, even if I wanted to :nono: ,move to 8.1 as there aren't drivers available for my soundcard. Even though it's a high end professional device, I don't know if there ever will be as it is fairly old and out of production.

Thanks to all who have responded, I really appreciate your time  :thumbsup2:  .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users