Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problem with web cam and Adobe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aperson

Aperson

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hello .... again :)

I have an issue that while seemingly not great, it is major for me as radio Dj and one who creates tutorials with a web cam.

I use Adobe Flash Media Encoder or i can use Procaster to stream to our server live while i do my shows. I have done this for a few years without any issues outside of the odd Audio glitch. 

Recently, when i loaded FME to go live, it stated my profile had failed and it was loading default profile. This happens if i have no cam plugged in (I have forgot to do that at times so i know this message) However it WAS plugged in. I tried a few things and no luck? "Is the cam broken"? i asked myself. It is listed in Adobe but not loading so i try Procaster and that says "No Cam". I hooked the cam to my lap Top and it works fine. Thinking it may have some issue i have bought a new cam, it installed drivers fine and now i am getting the same message. I would re install adobe only the cam is not working with Pro caster and i can also go live from within my Livestream account but there i get a message saying the cam is being used by another application (That may not be so) that could be a false report. I does however ask me to allow or deny as if it sees it but after i click allow, i get the above message. This is strange and should NOT be happening.

Something is corrupt somewhere in the system. Not sure if there is a link but i un installed Avast and bought MacAffee the day before. I have turned it off, even the firewall and tried. 

I am sure this one will go right over your heads as it has mine :(  I can no longer perform live or do other work without it.

Any ideas for a clean up or where i could start looking  in the system in relation to the function of my cam? Or any other help would be appreciated :)

Thank you in advance..

Just editing an update. I installed the disc that come with the cam, and even that software is not seeing the Web Cam, I smell malware .

Edited by Aperson, 01 March 2014 - 01:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

<<it stated my profile had failed and it was loading default profile>>

Did you subsequently...create a new user profile?

Louis

#3 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Hello. It is not a profile like you assume. It is the camera, audio settings profile that would usually be saved for next time by Adobe. 

My camera is installed and is found in device manager as USB 2 webCAM . As i said, even it's own web cam software is not finding it. Livestream allows me to go into my account studio and click a tab called "Activate my local cam" and it does as i stated in original post. Procaster lists cams when open but it sees nothing. Adobe has the words USB 2 WebCAM listed but clicking to edit just brings back the profile message again.

I uninstalled drivers and re installed. Nothing!

I believe there is a win 32 shell error or corruption and i have noticed recently that show hidden files and folders keeps reverting back to don't show hidden files and folders all on it's own.

It is a new cam i bought today, but i know the old one was working as it does on my lap top.

I have been working with computers since sinclair ZX days :) This is not a general user issue, it is a system issue or a malware / virus issue.

Thank's..

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

It's probably adobe. When you said, USB 2 WebCAM; I am guessing somehow the camera got disconnected and adobe lost it's settings. http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/troubleshoot-webcam-issues-windows-flash.html You can also try going to windows key & type devmgmt.msc and see if there is any conflicts or errors in there. Also, typing msinfo32 has a lot of similar info conflicts, locations of drivers etc. If all else fails just uninstall the camera in device management and then uninstall adobe. Reinstall the camera running the detect new hardware in device manager. Reinstall Adobe after the camera is working properly. Worst case it might take a rollback from a earleir restore point to fix the issue. Sometimes it's registry level corruption that's keeping things from working ever again.

#5 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hi Technon.

This is not the software. Also the link you gave me is not related to Adobe FME. If it was adobe, then why is this happening to me via a connection to my livestream account without 3rd party software? I am not sure anyone here understands what this is. Within my Studio on livestream web site (Not a software) i have a tab that allows livestream to connect to my PC and will detect my Web cam or other devices used to broadcast audio and video. It is not saying there is no Web Cam, it just does not find it after i click to connect and reoports the cam as being used by another application. Also, other software i can use like Pro caster is not finding the cam thirdly, the software that comes with the cam i installed, after i opened it, it said no cam detected and since than does not give  me that same message but any more, it just opens with no image. I have un installed it but now the audio driver it used which is giving my one choice of my native sound device is showing up in adobe as the only choice yet i have remove that in settings because i have a studio interface for sound. So there is behaviour here contrary to common functions i have been working with for many years.

I am well aware of Adobe profiles - if the cam was pulled out, it simply loads a default profile , ie Low stream, low res video and audio as Mono and Mp3. I simply change these and Adobe saves them for every time a open it. If i have no cam plugged in when i open, it reverts back to default profile. This is NOT what is happening here. My PC is not allowing the use of a Web cam that is listed as working in hardware profiles (see photo)

As for using the RUN command prompts - i would not know what i am looking for in there.As for roll back. I have none saved and never have done with any computer. Often, a virus hides in those saved and it also uses up a lot of space saving them.

I have as yet never come upon an issue that has needed a fresh install except where those with the issue where the sort who do that due to not being able to find an answer where there always is one. Everyone has said the same thing: Corrupt file / s and or Malware , active or caused the issue. I do have one or two trojans in quarantine .

Hope this gives a better picture :)

Attached Files

#6 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

Update: I found this in the Sysinfo locations> 

Sorry, it said image was too large so i had to use Image URL and site said i am not allowed to use the image extension on this community. Anyway i need a break i had no sleep for 2 days. Sorry.

Edited by Aperson, 02 March 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#7 pwf119

pwf119

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Are you able to use your webcam with any other software on your pc at all, such as skype or windows live movie maker for example?

#8 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hello Pwf119. Thank you for reply. None others work. I do not have nor ever have used Skype, or Windows messenger. I have Photo editors that detect Web Cams to make stills. They along with 4 other programs i have so far listed do not find it. 

i can not upload a photo. The sites says it is too large. It is just a print screen paste that is 469 kb and i can not link it to you from my file host - firedrive AKA Putlocker or Zippyshare so i dunno what to do but it looks like a Kernel is not starting in Windows shell system32 or something like that.

It is not working on a generic radius with anything if you read my previous posts - if it was one single application i would simply fix that issue myself. It has worked for 4 years on many set ups and just stopped one day and the addition of a brand new cam has not fixed it, but as i have already said, the old cam is not broken. Lap top and another PC run it fine - both of tham.

Edited by Aperson, 02 March 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#9 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

So i assume no one here knows what is wrong ? Over your heads? If all else fails - format and re install windows? Maybe i should just run Tweaking Computer Windows repair?

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

So i assume no one here knows what is wrong ? Over your heads? If all else fails - format and re install windows? Maybe i should just run Tweaking Computer Windows repair?

It's a communication problem between either the camera/driver or camera/adobe or whatever program you're using. LIke I said before yes sometimes these things work fine then something changes and the camera moves to some other interupt usb port or whatever and the software is having issues pointing to it again. Sometimes this is part of the coding of the driver or the software using the camera and if it isn't updated or fixed it will never be resolved. Once this gets in the registry it stays corrupt. I had come across issues like this before with scanners. Scanners generally are like camera's taking a twain picture like in photoshop. Resintalling the entire OS I would say no, but that is your choice. There is other things to do...

-Maybe update the photoshop software or ask the support forum of the software there if there is issues.

-Update the software/drivers to the camera.

-It could be a compatibility issue with Windows 7, XP and some things need to be ran in a Virtual XP mode. Or it's compatibility changed within windows 7.

-Uninstall camera/software and the program software that is using the camera. In cases nothing can be done in the troubleshooting world you blow it away and start over from the basics.

-Try restoring the computer from a earlier restore point.

Edited by technonymous, 05 March 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#11 Aperson

Aperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

Hi Tech'

Thank you for the reply.

I have done most of the above bar contacting Adobe but this is not exclusive to Adobe Flash Media Encoder. Nothing finds the camera including remote access by Livestream server from within the account studio where there is a tab to click - it then accesses your camera which in this case it sees one there but then says it is being used by another application after i click it. Adobe's user screen shows "USB 2 Web Cam" but is not initializing it and as such it returns to it's default settings. I have searched forums under the search tags of my issue and related issues (Including Adobe forums) and to each of the issues i find that at heart are the same as my issue, each are a different cause (Or it would seem so) .

I have even seen  one post about Anti Virus causing some issue with a registry file (Filter something) and this seems plausible as this happened the following day after i bought and installed McAfee AV. I even seen instructions regarding the removal of said registry file but not detailed instructions. I am NOT going to mess with the registry and search 1000s of files in there for one or two that i have to remove - especially when this may not be the cause. Though i do feel it to be the cause.

I run AW Cleaner and it found almost 500 issues and some malware but this did not resolve the issue. As i was running the cam with no problem on this PC for almost 2 years, i can be sure it is nothing to do with Win 7 compatibility - it can hardly compatible for 2 years and decide it not longer wants to be :)

Without detailed understanding of what i need to do manually - the issue will remain. I have not been able to do a live show for over a month and people are getting a little T'd off over it now. The station owners are going to replace me if i don't sort this soon. This as well as the tutorials i do for music production and my own radio show. All at a stand still. I have no restore points - it wants to store them on another drive and i have no room on other drives. If i save restore points, i would need more that the 11 drives i already have. In the music world - stems from ONE track alone can be upto 3 gig, plus the actual save file with sounds and finished work upto 300 meg. 1000s upon 1000s of these. I do not have the room for restore points.

I will just have to deal with other matters right now and come back to it.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:03 AM

You can create a restore point before editing the registry so if you mess up you can do a roll back. However, Editing the registry is pretty straight forward. If you have step by step instructions and the exact location to go to on what to edit, then you can't really mess up anything other than adobe or whatever. Have you tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it? Maybe doing that will uninstall the registry issue. Uninstalling It may not still remove. However, reinstalling might write over it. It's hard to say. I don't usually recommend a CC registry cleaner, but in your case you could try it after you uninstall the program. You would have to be careful and uncheck everything not related to adobe or whatever. Before doing so, do a restore point and if you run CC do a registry backup in the program itself as well. Sometimes troubleshooting things can't be fixed if you have no input of whats broke. So the next best thing is to blow it away and start over.

I have a similar issue with a scanner older one it takes a couple good scans and then the software creates some kind of saved setting somewhere in the registry or on the system and it goes corrupt. It works good under XP or Xpmode in windows 7. It falls on it's face if installed into 7 directly, and using compatibility mode fails. Conflict happens going to new OS with old software drivers or old hardware, or vice versa.

Edited by technonymous, 12 March 2014 - 04:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users