Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Work around for a program that won't run?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PBzeer

PBzeer

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

My knowledge level is best described as "knowing enough to screw things up", so I'm wondering if this will work ....

I have a game, Risk II, that I put on my new laptop. Installs ok, but then it won't get past the Buy or Try screen. (It is a paid for program and I have the activation code).

So, what I'm wondering is this ... can I copy all the files for it from my old laptop, to make it think it's activated? Or are there registry entries to deal with as well? (Old - Win 7 Home Premium, New - Win 7 Pro, both 32 bit)

If that won't work, any other ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Your best bet is to contact the makers support, if they are still in business. I have had this problem with some soft ware, graphics not gaming, that didn't want to re-install after a hard drive replacement and the manufacturer was perfectly willing to e-mail me an activation code to get it to work. If they are not still in business, there may be a users' forum that can help you.

Just copying the files over will not solve your difficulty since it is almost certainly a registry key that activation changes. And given your claimed knowledge level, do NOT go fiddling around in the registry or you are likely to find yourself needing a third laptop - or at least a complete re-install !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 PBzeer

PBzeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

For one, customer support for this game is a joke ... if you can even get to them.

Two, I have the activation code, but can't get the program to open far enough to use it. When you click on the link to "Already paid", it takes forever for it to tell you you aren't connected to the Internet (even though you are).

Third, if I went into regedit, I'd do it with the older laptop open to it also, and only change those entries I can find with Find.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

You can run Process Monitor from SysInternals (whilst running the app on the old drive) to see which reg keys are being used.... then copy them (selectively) and your local user/data files over.

It might take some tweaking, but it's doable.

Edited by TsVk!, 02 March 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#5 PBzeer

PBzeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

Thanks. I realize the risks of messing with the registry, I was just looking for some conformation about what I had in mind. There's a whole slew of questions about reinstalls of this game out there, but no answers ... and I'd really like to have it on this machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users