Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create a new user acct and wipe out old

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeChoo

MikeChoo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

I am going to create a new admin acct on my laptop but first would like to completely wipe out and old profile. Is it best to rename it or if I want to delete all remnants, where do I go?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

hello ,you would in my opinion create the new one first ,then after you make sure you have backup of all your personal data you can delete the old acct .

Data = document ,music,videos ,pictures ,any thing you may have created with you computer's software .follow the tutorial to create a new acct ,and you would go to the same place to remove the old one ,good luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-new-user-account-in-windows-vista-7/

Edited by caperjac, 01 March 2014 - 08:18 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 MikeChoo

MikeChoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for that link. How about getting rid of the old profile? I would like to rename it in order to use the same acct name for new profile. Is this possible?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

You can rename it. However, it only changes the name you see on the Welcome Screen. It will still show as the OLD name under Users.

Example: Your current user account is ABC. You change the name to XYZ.

You then create a new account and give it the name ABC.

When you go to Computer/Drive C/Users this is what you will see

ABC which contains documents, pictures, etc. for the XYZ user name.
ABC_2 which is the new account.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

You can avoid the confusion described by Queen-Evie if you recreate the profile.  Rebuilding a user profile can resolve user specific issues.  In other words, if other accounts on the same machine do not have the same problem then it is most likely a profile issue and can be repaired by rebuilding the affected user's profile.

That sounds like what you want to do, get rid of what the profile currently has and start over with the same user name.

#6 MikeChoo

MikeChoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Yes, rkilroy! You hit it on the head. Thanks Sir!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users