Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Laptop having problems booting.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Johnalmeidaii

Johnalmeidaii

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:05 AM

Ok this is a series of weird things that started out as a small problem but escalated quickly ill start at the beginning of the problem.

First off my laptop is a HP not sure the model it says 2000 in bottom right of screen and regulatory model is TPN-F104 than it says model: 2000-329WM and operating system is Windows 7 home prem OA.
Ok here is what the small problem was a couple of weeks ago I picked up my laptop and was carrying it to my bedroom and as I started to put it down on my desk the fan started making a loud noise which it never had before so I restarted the pc and it came back on with no problems no fan noise or at least not the loud noise so I thought nothing of it, than yesterday I closed my laptop screen because normally I have it open and plugged in and it will go into sleep mode but yesterday I desired to close it well when I opened it back up today it started to make the fan noise again so I figured must be getting clogged with dust and lint so I searched the web to see how I could fix it and one of the best options I found was to open up the laptop and clean the fan manually with cotton swabs. so I turned it off unplugged it and took the battery out and started to open it up.
I unscrewed the frame screws than took off the 2 bottom plates to get to the HDD and the Ram potions of the laptop than took out the optical drive screw and removed it and made sure to get rest of the screws out, than I unplugged the HDD and sat it aside and flipped the laptop over and took out the keyboard and than took the top plate off making sure to unplug the 3 cords connected as to not rip them out than I started to clean off the fan which had lots of dust built up.
After I was done I put everything back the way it was and closed it up plugged it in and put the battery in and started it up at first the fan was making a little noise and than it got loud again and the laptop was taking a really long time to load up I just started it up normally and it finally got to where everything was loaded but it was being really slow and every now and than the bottom bar with the start button would freeze up and say windows is not responding would you like to wait or end process so I did a hard reset by holding the power button until it shut off and restarted in safe mode loaded a little faster and opening things was a little faster so I attempted to system restore 3 times and each time failed and it was with 3 different dates, so than I held the power button again until it shut off and tried to boot it with last known good configuration but it got to the windows logo and than after it loaded it stayed black screen but I was able to move the mouse around I let it sit like that for 5 mins thinking that it would eventually load but it never did so I turned it off again and tried to boot it normal again to see if it would eventually load up again nope so than I tried in safe mode and nope same thing loads the windows logo than goes to blank black screen with mouse being able to move but nothing else so I figure last option is to system recover it back to factory settings and this is where things get even more frustrating, first I tried to save a backup because I never have on this laptop and I have important school work and programs that I can not lose on here it would stop and tell me HP magager error code FFFFFFF0C and it will not finish the back up and now the laptop won't boot up anyway so I don't know what to do any suggestions like I said I really need my files and programs also.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnalmeidaii

Johnalmeidaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

Also don't know if makes a diffrance but fan is always on when trying to startup HDD light does blink when trying to boot and just ran a startup test said
memory test:Passed
Smart Check: Passed
Short DST:Failed
Failure ID:936EL2-5S971U-MFKR5F-60WN03
Product ID:QE334UA#ABA
Hard Disk 1
Start-Up Test: FAILED
So what does it all mean?

#3 Johnalmeidaii

Johnalmeidaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

Any ideas anyone?

#4 Johnalmeidaii

Johnalmeidaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

I have another update I burned a CD version of Linux just to see if I could at least salvage my files and it worked my hard drives showed up and I was able to transfer my files to another PC successfully now here is the disappointing part now I went through the system recovery process to turn it back to factory settings it went through everything fine asked me to put in username and PC Name than a password and than pick a wifi connection than I pressed next and it started to load up it showed the window logo again and then was right back to black screen so what do you guys think is hard drive fried or is there another reason for my troubles?

#5 Johnalmeidaii

Johnalmeidaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

Kind of wondering if no one can see my post or it is just too complicated to try to figure out and I feel like there is no help for my laptop :(

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

I guess some may be too timid to tell you that the hard drive has suffered some track failure, most likely in the MBR area(Master Boot Record) and reads and erroneous data byte and is attempting to execute something that isn't valis and stalls.  The blank screen might indicate a display driver getting redirected.

#7 Johnalmeidaii

Johnalmeidaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

So the question now is, is it fixable /worth it to take to a computer repair shop to be checked out or am I just going to have to buy a new hard drive?
And lastly should I even buy a new hard drive because there might be other factors contributing to the overall system failure and just need a new system?

#8 Johnalmeidaii

Johnalmeidaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:02 AM

I am thinking I am prolly going to have to buy a new system but if I don't have to would be great to know

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#10 Johnalmeidaii

Johnalmeidaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

That's the thing I can't even login to windows to get to the desktop at all I did a factory reset and it still does not get to the sign on point it will load the windows logo and then freeze on a black screen

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

If you did  a factory reset and can't boot into Windows...is this covered by warranty still?  If so, no point in voiding it unnecessarily.

System Specs?

Louis

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

If you do a factory restore, you will lose all programs installed, it will be just like the day you bought it new. That being said... Are you certain that it was the fan making the noise and not the hard drive? If the fan was indeed having problems, the system may have been over heating, even 1 time can cause permanent damage. My first recommendation might be to try Memtest86 to rule out a bad stick of ram, sometimes linux will be fine and windows will bomb with a bad stick of ram. I actually had this happen on one of my machines, I ran linux for nearly 2 years, decided to install windows and got BSOD on install. I ran a memtest and sure enough I had a bad stick. Linux it seems deals with bad ram better than windows, as to why I have no idea.

Anyway start with memtest, download and burn this file to a disc (do not extract from the zip just burn): Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

Then boot from the disc and let the computer run through at least 2 passes. let us know the results and if there are no errors we will continue to rule things out. A hard drive test can be run after this but the programs can be a bit tricky to use...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users