Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back Again

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 userap

userap

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:28 AM

i rebooted my laptop (Toshiba Satellite), as usual, and after entering my password, the thing froze up. so i rebooted again - manually - and this time i could get to my desktop, but all that was there was a blue background, internet explorer icon, and my recycle bin icon. i have nothing in My Documents, and no programs will operate.

can anyone understand this, and/or HELP?

btw - you guys are awesome! you helped me out so well in the past, i hope you can come through again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

Reboot your computer. Hit the F8 key repeatedly at start up. Choose "Last Known Good Configuration" when the choice is presented. See if that makes a difference.

If not, try rebooting into Safe Mode using the same method as above.

If that fails, try to boot to Safe Mode with a command prompt. See if that works.

Let us know if any of the above options work. At least that way we will know what we have to work with here.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 userap

userap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:23 AM

i tried rebooting while hitting the F8 key . . . nothing changed, same slow boot to an empty desktop.

i don't know how to "boot to Safe Mode with a command prompt". if you let me know how to do this, i will give it a shot

thanks again Frankenstein

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

Ok, my friend, let's try this again. :thumbsup:

Turn on your computer and then hit the F8 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you are presented a black screen with white lettering that will give you all kinds of booting options. Select the one you want and then hit the ENTER key on your keyboard.

Now that you know that, go back to my original post and attempt those ideas and see what happens! Good luck.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 userap

userap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:39 AM

OK, i got to the startup menu (duh).

i chose Last Good Configuration, but i still came to the empty blue desktop.

i tried agin by selecting SafeMode with Command Prompt, and i came to a small window that said:

cmd.exe

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
c:\Documents and Settings\Temp>_

i have no idea wht to type into this prompt, nor do understand what it means.

might you hve an idea whts up? thanks again . . .

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:06 PM

You did well. You booted into Safe Mode with a command prompt. Now we know that works at least, and we might need it.

Here are some more things we need to know.

1) Do you have a program called SpyBot - Search and Destroy on this computer?

2) Try booting into Safe Mode as opposed to Safe Mode with a command prompt and see if that works ok.

Let me know and then I can give you more instructions, k?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 userap

userap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

1) yes, i do have Spybot Search and Destroy

2) i rebooted in safe mode, but instead of getting a blank blue desktop, i got a blank black desktop (still with recycle bin and explorer icons)

?? thanks again for your help

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:03 AM

I have a couple of things to try.

1) Boot your computer normally. Then go to: Start > Run and click OK. This should bring up the 'run' box. If it does not, hit the Windows key and the 'R' key on your keyboard at the same time. That should bring up the run box. If it does: type control
This should open up the control panel. If it does, then go to User Accounts and create a new account. Then reboot the computer and log into the new account when prompted. See if the new account works properly.

If idea #1 works, let us know. If not go on to idea #2:

2) Boot your computer to Safe Mode with a command prompt. When booted, type

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Hit the Enter key on your keyboard.

This should open system restore. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

More info can be found HERE.

Reboot normally and see if all is well.

If idea #2 works, let us know. If not, go on to idea #3:

3) Boot your computer to Safe Mode with a command prompt. When booted, type the following commands :

cd\ and hit the Enter key

C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
NOTE: On the above command, there is a space between .exe and / and a space between /autocheck and /autofix
hit the Enter key

This should start Spybot Search and Destroy. Let it run, delete what it finds. See if rebooting normally works after that.

ONE MORE QUESTION:

Do you have a program called AdAware on your computer?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 18 May 2006 - 07:54 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 userap

userap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:13 AM

YOU ROCK!!

idea #2 worked!! although, my system is still operating very slowly and unpredictable. ??

idea #1 just gave me a whole blank account on the computer, no files or folders.

i do have Ad-Aware SE Personal on my list of programs. i don'y know why its there. what should i do?

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:18 AM

It is time to back up your data, NOW!

I don't know the exact cause of your issue, but I have to lean towards infection at this point.

For help with removing your infection I would like to refer you to the HiJack This (HJT) forum here at BleepingComputer.com:

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within. (There are many important steps in this guide that may clean your computer.)

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait. It can sometimes take a few days for a response. If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

Third: If, after finishing your work with the folks at the HJT forum you have issues with Windows related to the removal of the infection, then come to the other forums and let us help you get your computer back to normal.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#11 userap

userap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

man, my colleague was just nominated for a Nobel Prize and i think you guys are more deserving . . . you're the best. thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users