Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Unwanted User Accounts & Files/cookies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bajan Elf

Bajan Elf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:25 AM

Hello,

I'm a Windows XP Home Edition user, and I'm not sure if this is a potential problem, but I just hate unwanted things on my comp.

Sometime last year I deleted two user accounts from my system, but kept some of the files (which may have gotten deleted because I didn't have a use for them anymore). My comp got infected with some spyware this morning and I have managed to get it off thanks to this forum. Following on of the tutorials, it suggested also running Panda's Active Scan to make sure I didn't have anymore infected or unwated malicious files on the computer - so I did this. I kept a copy of the Activescan log when it was completed, and had a look at it. I noticed that the two user accounts I deleted some while back, had cookies... for example -

"C:\Documents and Settings\Kelly\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ry8ql9ch.slt\cookies.txt[.mediaplex.com/]"

The name "Kelly" was one of the user accounts I deleted. The Activescan is also listing a few more of these and labeling them as Spyware:Cookie/Mediaplex (or whatever).

I just want to know if there is a way to get rid of these "cookies" that aren't supposed to there since they got "deleted"... :thumbsup:

Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:31 AM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Go to: Start > My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings
What folders do you see there with user names on them? Are these some of the old user names? I suppose you could always delete these unused folders if wanted, at least 'delete' them to the recycle bin.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Bajan Elf

Bajan Elf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:45 PM

:thumbsup: Aha!

I think what I did was just copy and paste some of the files I wanted from the other user accounts and put them in a shared folder, so I could access them in my own account. I didn't know they were all saved somewhere...

Much thanks!

Lisa

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

You are welcome, Lisa.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users