Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 1601 Wigig Card Installed, But Application Fails

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 norwood781

norwood781

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

I'm attempting to install the 1601 on a client's E6430 (not a 6430u) machine, I installed the card (assuming I didn't need to remove standard WiFi card.

I was able to install the card in the upper left corner, it was detected, appeared as operational in device manager and the drivers from here, however the application failed to install.

My question is manifold...

1. Do I need to remove the Bluetooth module? The card was detected so it lead me to believe it needn't be.
  2. I've read that there is a "hidden" blue wire that also needs to be connected to the Wigig card, however I was unable to locate it.
  3. Is that blue wire native only to the 6430u Latitudes?
  4. Does my client need to buy the 6430u?
  5. Is there a workaround? Perhaps the wire is, indeed, somewhere behind the LCD screen of the 6430 (non-u model)?
  6. Is there a new, different card we can purchase in order to provide this solution to our client?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated as we've billed this client a great deal of labor, television mountings in his conference rooms, wiring, drops, the wireless docking station itself and obviously, the card itself and he is extremely dissatisfied.

Edited by norwood781, 28 February 2014 - 07:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#3 norwood781

norwood781
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Hi!

Thanks for the tip, but there's no hijacked proxy settings, the computer works in every way possible. 

What I'm asking is if the Wigig Application can work on a 6530 as well as a 6530u without the BT module removal and if there is the extra Wigig antena installed in the 6530 in order to make the wireless docking station operational.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

I am asking you to post the last 10 event logs installed applications and the users and the partition information.

#5 norwood781

norwood781
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Ok, I'll get that information in the a.m. when I get into the office.  Can you tell me what information you're looking for and how it relates to the the Dell 1601 card and D5000?  Perhaps there's a correlation I can make with what you're trying to see...

Edited by norwood781, 28 February 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

I am wanting to see if the software is actually installing for it as it maybe incompatible with your OS and throwing errors in the event log.

#7 norwood781

norwood781
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

I'll check, I just hope that the 6430 has this extra antenna that's mentioned.  None of the spec sheets or manuals are very clear on which model is needed, and we may have advised our client to purchase the wrong laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users