Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcut Cleaner Question?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bluediamond

Bluediamond

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

This is a very Neat little tool and i been using it since version 1.0 and always get 0 results from the cleaner today i got two machines infected with the Search.certified-toolbar.com Browser Hijacker and Between Hijackthis and Adw Cleaner i was able to kill it but the shortcuts where still infected ran the the shortcut cleaner in hopes that it would clean up the browser shortcuts and it did not i had to manually remove the heading in properties. My question does this app only catch whats in the desktop or does it search the whole computer. Show i even bother using it anymore on machines this really broke my heart as im a Huge fan of easy modes lol.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

Shortcut Cleaner (sc-cleaner.exe) is a program created by Grinler, the site owner of BleepingComputer, that will scan Windows shortcuts for hijacked properties. The tool was initially developed to find and clean shortcuts hijacked by the search.certified-toolbar.com hijacker, which appended a web site as an argument to random shortcuts. This caused the web page to open up by the program or by a web browser when you click on the shortcut. Since then, The tool has been updated several times to target other domains.

When Shortcut Cleaner is run, it will scan the computer for shortcuts and look for hijacked properties and clean them if they are found. When finished a log (sc-cleaner.txt) is created on the Desktop and automatically opens in notepad.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Bluediamond

Bluediamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Shortcut Cleaner (sc-cleaner.exe) is a program created by Grinler, the site owner of BleepingComputer, that will scan Windows shortcuts for hijacked properties. The tool was initially developed to find and clean shortcuts hijacked by the search.certified-toolbar.com hijacke, which appended a web site as an argument to random shortcuts. Since then, The tool has been updated to target other domains.

When Shortcut Cleaner is run, it will scan the computer for shortcuts and look for hijacked properties and clean them if they are found. When finished a log (sc-cleaner.txt) is created on the Desktop and automatically opens in notepad.

Then how come it did not pick up the Browser Hijacker in this case in 100% of the cases i always get a 0 sc-cleaner.txt report. I have yet to see it work but then again its the last application i run for my tune ups and in this case id did not pick up the hijacker mentioned. I had to remove them manually through properties.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

You may want to ask your question in this discussion topic which Grinler monitors. Most likely he is going to need more information from you.

I will also let him know.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Any chance you have an example of some of these hijacked shortcuts you can send me?

Send them to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=3

Without them I cant see what went wrong.

#6 Bluediamond

Bluediamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

You may want to ask your question in this discussion topic which Grinler monitors. Most likely he is going to need more information from you.I will also let him know.

Thanks for the link will do.

Any chance you have an example of some of these hijacked shortcuts you can send me?Send them to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=3Without them I cant see what went wrong.

Unfortunately at this time I don't as the computers are gone but basiclly I have to manually remove the highjacker string from the .exe" on the shortcuts properties. But next time see this which will be soon as I'm constantly Tuning up PC's I'll post it. I'm just not as confident using SC as before.

Edited by Charles.Pineda, 01 March 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Your the first complaint. So either the infection modified something that the program's defs do not cover or its a new technique that the program change.

Unfortunately, without an example shortcut I have absolutely no way of diagnosing this.

#8 Bluediamond

Bluediamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Your the first complaint. So either the infection modified something that the program's defs do not cover or its a new technique that the program change.Unfortunately, without an example shortcut I have absolutely no way of diagnosing this.

No worries come across hijackers all day so I will definitely post something when it happens again. I help out the best I can.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

We appreciate that.