Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No start up---Just black screen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hello,

Have a HP Pavillion notebook running Win 7 that suddenly stopped working. Wife was useing the machine when suddenly the screen went blank. When she tries to reboot you can hear the HD working but there is nothing on the screen. Absolutley nothing, no beeps not even a flashing cursor.

For some background info, about a year ago the wife dropped the laptop and sprung the rear plastic hinges and the top lid no longer closes. This did not however seem to effect the workings. When the lid was moved to try closing, there was a clicking sound caused by the hinges rubbing on the side of the case.

I took the lap top to Best Buy where I had purchased it for inspection. The Geek Squad guy was alone and very busy and I thought at best gave a brief and cursory evaluation. He tried to boot with out the battery installed with no luck. I explained the history of the unit, went over the dropping event and he said the snapping sound was probably happening on the inside of the case and probably cut through a connection or the motherboard would need to be replaced. He suggested I buy a new computer.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2014 - 01:27 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Can you use the external adapter with a LCD monitor?

#3 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I only have HDMI connector . Will that work with aT.V.?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

If your TV has an HDMI Connection.

#5 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried to connect to the T.V.  No signal came on the screen. When the laptop was working in the past I could use the HDMI connection with no problem.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Then I would say that a short has happened, and the video card is no longer functioning.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

You said the hinge had issues, it is possible that the cable going to the screen has shorted.  I had that on a client lap top, a cheap cable from Ebay had it back in business.  You can pull the cable then test the HDMI, go on you tube there are many films on dismantling. Take your time they are easier to take apart than most think.  Un-clip the cable at the board not at the screen most shorts are right at the hinge.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Thanks very much to both of you.

I'll look on you tube for some dismantling information and try my best to fix this.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

Buck up you will just fine!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Found a number of dismantling videos. Problem is I am a  computer neophyte and none of these pertain to my model. I have an HP Pavilion dv7-4165dx Entertainment Notebook and was able to DL a service guide from the HP website. The trouble is that this guide doesn't match my particular model, the illustrations don't look like my model. Wondering if anyone has this model and if so, knows where I can find a guide.

Thank you.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Does this look like yours:

#12 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

cryptodan ,

Thank you for your help. Yes indeed that looks like my model. I saw that video yesterday when I was first starting my search but stopped watching because there was no audio explaining what was beeing done. Someone with more compter saavy than I have could probably glean what was going on. But not me. I will watch it a few times and see if I can understand better.

I am going to try and take some pictures and post them and perhaps someone will be able to  guide me along.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

Just watch where he is taking out the screws.

#14 jonlaing160

jonlaing160

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Hi there,

Are there any of the blue lights lit up just above the keyboard when you try and power on? 

Might be a coincidence but I have dealt with three dv7 laptops that suddenly stopped working and refused to boot.  All of the blue lights stayed lit but that was about it.

#15 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the input. No there are no lights above the ketboard. The screen is black and the caps key flashes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users