Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good CPU Cooler - Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drafthorse

Drafthorse

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

I've got an older machine I'd like to put back into service after a few hardware upgrades. Current specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz (LGA-775)

RAM: 4 Gb DDR2 800 MHz

VIDEO: ZOTAC ZT-95TEK2M-FSL GeForce 9500 GT

MOBO: XFX nForce 750i SLI

PSU: 600 Watts

2 DVD+RW Drives

1 160 Gb SATA 2 HD (testing, bigger ones later.)

Speccy and Speedfan both show the CPU temp running at 44C, Mobo at 35C, and the HD at 35C. Keep in mind this is in a room that's around 24C . . . that seems  a bit warm. The fans have been in the case since it was built and I'm thinking of changing them out for some good ball bearing ones, and a new CPU cooler also. Overclocking isn't off the table completely for me, but for now I'd like to keep the system from roasting itself just running benchmarks, etc.

How do I find something better than the stock Intel cooler the processor came with? I've looked on some sites, but I'm having difficulty finding stuff for an older CPU.

Edited by Drafthorse, 28 February 2014 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Electronics-_-Cooler+Master-_-N82E16835103064&scpid=7&scid=scsho5451811

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556088837.html?productid=840556088837&channelid=FROOG&gclid=CLz1gsPT77wCFTQOOgod6FsAGg

Either of these should do a decent job.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

If you want to use good cpu cooler then their is many coolers in the market 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Speccy and Speedfan both show the CPU temp running at 44C, Mobo at 35C, and the HD at 35C

Assuming you have taken these temperatures after the computer has been running for a while - and not straight after start-up - then I would say you have nothing to worry about.

CPUs can safely go to about 65 - 70C, and hard drives up to 50C. Mobos are a bit harder to specify but because of heat conduction they will always be warmer than ambient. Just clean the fans and heatsinks from time to time to stop dust and muck building up in them - and save yourself a few pennies, sorry, cents.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

It's really the load temperature that's important.  What temperatures are you seeing when the CPU is under stress?  Temperature at idle doesn't mean that much because modern processors have various techniques to slow themselves down and save power when it isn't required.  My i5-750 with the stock Intel heatsink would idle at around the mid 30's but shoot up to as much as 85 degrees while running Prime 95's torture test.  I'm currently using an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 which was a cheap upgrade, far from the best on the market, but it keeps it down to around 60 running Prime 95, with a small (20%) overclock.  In normal use it's a fair bit lower than that.

You have quite a wide choice for LGA 775 based processors still.  The mounting on them is very nearly the same as Intel 1155/1156/1150 coolers.  The mentioned Freezer 7 Pro is a cost effective improvement over the stock Core 2 Quad cooler, quiet, and is not too large.  The Cooler Master TX3 also is a good cost effective choice.  If you have the room for a larger cooler and you want the best performance then the 120mm fan tower coolers offer a step up in performance.  The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is relatively cheap and quite well reviewed.  There's all sorts but you don't have to spend a fortune to get decent cooling performance.

Edited by jonuk76, 01 March 2014 - 08:08 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

You mentioned OC is not out of the question, spend the $$ and feel comfortable.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Drafthorse

Drafthorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Thank you for the recommendations.

I decided to go with the Cooler Master TX3 after looking around. It will definitely work with the new case since it has plenty of room for a cooler that size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users