Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's Best Free External HDD Recovery Program?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

I have a 35G external HDD that I use with my Roku. I was transferring a movie to a friends laptop & the transfer crashed. I unplugged it & replugged & her laptop saw the drive but said something about can't find files or corrupted files. The drive needs to be formatted to use. She had a new Win8 PC. I plugged it into my 2 other laptops, Win7 & Vista. They also saw the drive but a window popped up saying "You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it." I assume something happened to the drive during the transfer process. It was not dropped or hit in any way. I was wndering if there are any free prpgrams out there that might bring back the HDD or at least pull out the data. I used to use the drive as a personal/work back up drive. There might be some older files I'd like to save. I'm resisting formatting the drive thus losing all data for good. I went to Cnet & they had some options but many have a 1G limit for trial. Can anyone recommend a free program that can help with a crashed external HDD. Thanks!!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

PhotoRec is a free open source utility to recover your files. Just make sure you recover them to another drive and not the corrupted drive or the files will be lost.

After you have retrieved your files, you can try TestDisk to recover the partitions if possible but using it wrong will make things worse so it's best to use PhotoRec. The only issue is that any files recovered will have generic names attached. Another option that may recover the partition table is the freeware Minitools Partition Wizard.

If TestDisk or Partition Wizard fails then try Chkdsk /r on the drive but do this as a last resort.

#3 StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Their is many free external hdd recovery program like Recuva,Puran ,Glary Undelete,Pandora Recovery, SoftPerfect File Recovery,EaseUS Data Recovery

#4 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

PhotoRec worked like a champ!! I downloaded it & followed these Youtube instructions & got everything back!!

Thanks a Million!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users