Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD hard drive booting windows problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 timzy12

timzy12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

Ok here's what's happened so far, I got my new Samsung 840 Pro 256g SSD today and planned to install it into my computer to use as a boot drive and for some of the larger games, say Battlefield 4 and so on.  Now, I started off by getting the power and SATA cable in and detaching my old one, the starting the system and installing windows onto the drive.  Everything went great, until I got to the desktop and found that it was a small resolution with no way of increasing it, I wasn't connected to the internet because I was supposedly missing my network drivers and so there was nothing I could do.  Shutting down I plugged my old drive back in and low and behold, it didn't work.  So spending hours trying to recover my old drive for some stupid reason I finally managed to get a system restore going and recovered it back from a couple of hours before hand, phew on that one.  So here's the situation now, I am using my old drive as my main with my new one connected and being picked up by the computer so that's all good, but when I go into BIOS, switch the new SSD to my primary and boot up on that, I get this stupid desktop with no drivers and no internet connection, suggestions, answers and general comments in the direction of aid would be helpful!

The new hard drive is as I have said: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series Basic

The original hard drive is: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

I'm using windows home premium 64bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

Download the ethernet drivers from the bootable hard drive that loads windows and has internet (make sure to get the correct drivers from the manufacturer if possible), then copy to the other ssd in the ssd drive letter:\users\"your user name"\desktop (or whatever folder you want)

Now boot back to the ssd and you should see those drivers on the desktop, install them and behold internet is working, then finish installing all other drivers.

The other thing you can do when booted to the ssd: is go into device manager: from the start menu in search programs and files, type in device manager and then hit enter. Right click on the ethernet adapter under network adapters and click install driver or update driver, then click browse my computer for driver software, from browse select the working original hard drive and click next (this may take a while because it is searching the entire drive for the driver) if it exists on the old hard drive it will install automatically. You can try this for all other drivers as well.

Edited by zingo156, 28 February 2014 - 02:23 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users