Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

All system specs are listed in my signature...

Okay guys - I believe I'm in deep doo-doo here.

I was preparing to do a system drive image backup, and wanted to make a few adjustments before doing so. My MSI motherboard came with something called MSI Control Center, which is a nicer GUI for making BIOS adjustments, overclocking, and a few other utilities. I came across a setting called Overclock Optimizer Lite. It is supposed to optimize all settings based on your system specs, if I understand it correctly. I'm not a big fan of overclocking, but since this was an automated process performed by MSI software on an MSI mobo, I decided to go ahead and select it. The program thought about things for a moment or two, and then told me that the optimization had been successful, that I needed to reboot for the settings to take effect, and would I like to reboot now? I selected the reboot option.

The system then powered down... And stayed down, completely, rather than restarting. Okay, I thought, just hit the power button. Nope... I can hear the fans begin to wind up for a few moments, then the system shuts down again. It doesn't even make it to the MSI splash screen, which I assume means that it's not even getting to the POST. I tried using a boot CD, but as I suspected would happen, nothing.

I haven't been able to track this issue down, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by MelissaPleases, 28 February 2014 - 01:30 PM.

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Can you access the BIOS by tapping the DEL key as soon as the computer boots. Then set the BIOS to default.

Edit: In BIOS look at Overclocking Profile. It may have a profile setup that you can delete.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

I cannot. I opened the case and tried removing the battery for a minute, replaced it, and tried again - nothing.

I tried getting into the BIOS as you suggested, but the machine isn't even getting far enough to do that.

I'm not quite sure of the significance of this, but I've seen a few references to it around the web. When I first press the power button, the LED readout on the mobo reads FF, then the computer powers back down.

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

See page 2-19 of the manual. Use the jumper to clear CMOS setting.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hi,

I see that JohnC_21 beat me to it. His method or mine should work. I like the button on the back like that Motherboard design.

Go to this page, download the manual. http://dl.msi.com/download_files/mnu_exe/E7640v1.2.zip

Unzip and read page 2-10. It shows the reset Bios button. Press the Clear CMOS Button, Next to the Keyboard and Mouse button.

msi-890fxa-gd70.jpg

Clear the Bios settings and reset the date and time.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 February 2014 - 02:21 PM.
Additional Content

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Also removing the cmos battery will clear the cmos only if you unplug the power from the wall... If the computer is plugged in it will do nothing. Bigger power supplies can hold a charge for quite some time, after unplugging from the wall hit the power button a few times then remove the cmos battery for at least 10 seconds and put it back in. That is of course if you can not use a clear cmos jumper or button.

Edited by zingo156, 28 February 2014 - 02:28 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

Problem solved!

The CMOS reset button did the trick. I'm back up and running.

Thanks to JohnC and to rotor for the help, and zingo, thanks for that info about needing to unplug the power from the wall before removing the battery. This is actually the first time I've ever tried it - I just remember hearing that it could help with some boot issues. Handy little piece of info for future reference.

Thanks again, all three of you. This place is the best! :)

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Thank You for reporting back that You were successful.

Thank You for the kind words, Helping is the goal.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 February 2014 - 03:19 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users