Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can a bitcoin miner be used to brute force cryptolocker keys

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheProfessorofPie

TheProfessorofPie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

As i was pondering in my pajamas reading about new security measures against the cryptolocker i found myself on the topic of poetic justice and whatnot, my pondering led me to "What if the very currency the ransomers were demanding could be used to bruit force the security key supposedly held on a [Private control server]" i mean really if you think about it bitcoin is nothing more then really encrypted data chains and if someone could "borrow"" some mining cycles from an ASIC mining farm you could decrypt the keys in a matter of seconds. you may have to translate the data to be bruit forced into some kind of bitcoin chain code, but maybe this could be an answer for bitcoin miners that have no more bitcoin to mine since the ASIC farms have raised the encryption level of bitcoin to some extreme levels.... thus breathing life back into miners that can't mine, imagine a service costing 5$ to decrypt crypto locked files...lol talk about a black eye to the ransom ware creators....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheProfessorofPie

TheProfessorofPie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

well if anyone has any idea how to make the decrypting compatable with a bitcoin miner, please do tell. :) might need somthing likr that in the near future

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users