Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to forum but not to the excellence of Combofix

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maxx707

maxx707

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

:tophat: However, when I went to use it today, I was surprised to have the message popup that Combofix had expired and that I could continue, but at a reduced rate of effectiveness. I couldn't find the coin slot(pardon the pun) but I would have happily contributed. That notwithstanding, this same message appeared about 2 weeks ago, and yes I did download a fresh copy of Combofix at that time and go through the installation procedure as prescribed. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: moved to appropriate forum ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 28 February 2014 - 01:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Did you download it from the link in the authorized guide which redirects here?

If not, be aware there are a number of unauthorized sites which hosts older versions. ComboFix.org and ComboFixdownload.com offer unauthorized versions of Combofix and the download links are seldom current. Neither of these sites are affiliated with ComboFix by sUBs. Combofix has a built-in time out (expiration) feature as protection against using outdated versions which may cause serious problems with a computer if used. This date check is a safety feature deliberately incorporated for that very reason. "Reduced Functionality" mode is intended to protect users from running older versions as most of the tool's features are disabled except for those known only by trained experts who can provide guided instructions. In some older versions of ComboFix, the expired version may no longer work properly or effectively. In newer versions, it should delete the copy on a user's computer and try to ensure no other copies of ComboFix will run on the machine until an updated copy is released.

Also what OS are you attempting to run it on?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 maxx707

maxx707
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. To my knowledge, the ver. I downloaded a couple of weeks ago was from this site. When I set it up and ran it, there was no message about it being out of date. The O/S I use is W7 HE.

BTW, where can I make a donation to the cause?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

I just downloaded CF and received no expired warning on my machine so I'm not sure why you are getting the alert. There have been no other reports that I am aware of or they would have been brought to the attention of sUBs...so I'm not sure what is going on in your case. If anything does come up I will post that information here.

As far as donations...We appreciate your generous offer but as our other advertisements are able to offset the cost of the site, Bleeping Computer is no longer accepting donations. The site is by no means a profit making venture, but it is at this point self sustaining so the donation link was removed by the site owner.

#5 Nostromov

Nostromov

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

ComboFix

Came here and registered - upon discovery of ComboFix (too?) :)

.. Don't need it, computer's not busted; but, wanted to test it!

Tnx 4 the software!!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

#7 L3D

L3D

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:05 AM

Hi I have two questions about Combofix. Is it open source, and what language is it programmed in? Thanks.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

All discussions about Combofix...its development, how it works, etc are in private areas not for the general public to read. Why? Everything we discuss can be read by the bad guys. Yes, they read these forum topics looking for clues (knowledge) on how to circumvent our tools and removal techniques. We don't want to provide any information they can use against us so we deliberately do not provide specific information on the specific inner workings of our tools and how we use them in areas where attackers can see that information. As such, our discussion in public areas is limited and sometimes may appear vague or not fully address a specific question so it should not be taken personal.

#9 L3D

L3D

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

Hi quietman, thanks for your response. I'd like to address the community as well.

First of all, I'd like to thank sUBs, particularly for DDS. I've helped many people remove malware infections with the aid of DDS. It's been my go to first post log generating program for a long time. It strikes a perfect balance between depth of information and conciseness.

That said, I have a fundamental disagreement with the way things are done at large in the malware fighting community. I see far too many tech support forums that are walled off like a government, where the security tools are closed source, and discussion and knowledge about them are not free, and hierarchies are created, separating users who seek help and knoweldge from the people you consider worthy of the knowledge.

This community is not a meritocracy, and it isn't free. Individuals who have the ability to demonstrate the skill and knowledge to be helpful to other people in charitable ways are not allowed to openly, and instead must go through the process of wrapping themselves in the red tape of your hierarchy, and then actively work to keep knowledge from other people who may benefit from it. The anti malware community is a state, and I as an Anarchist, find it disgusting, and terribly dissapointing.

Information should be free, because the freedom to seek knowledge, and the freedom to help others, are freedoms that every living person on this planet is born with. You seek to destroy that freedom, and that is wrong.

I urge everyone reading this to consider Julian Assange, Chelsea Manning, Daniel Ellsberg, Aaron Schwartz, Jeremy Hammond, Barrett Brown, and Edward Snowden, and consider their actions, and realize that they have contributed immensely towards humanity, and the good and rights of others, because they sought to free information from misguided gatekeepers. 

I appreciate the efforts of people in the malware fighting community, but you are all misguided. I condemn your closed source mentality and philosphy, your hierarchy, and I will work toward and look forward to the day when you become obsolete.

Edited by L3D, 08 March 2014 - 03:50 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

I understand where you are coming from but there is not much we or other forums can do about it. Many of the developers of specialized tools used for malware detection and removal ask that the specific inner workings of their tools not be discussed in public. We are simply following the author's wishes in regards to this matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users