Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can disk imaging stop rebooting with Grub errors etc.?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Alpine1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Hi all ,

My Asus K53E is not fully booting into the hard drive. I can go via F2 and boot using a memory key e.g. a ubuntu recovery live cd and also get into the BIOS settings there. It will not register the F9 key to use my recovery partition as it normally does.  I do have a disc image of the recovery partition however if you tell me a way to use this some how ? I can access the following things but have barely used them before -

Hirens boot , parted magic , ultimate boot and ubuntu live cd - all can be used via F2 for repairing the PC and booting from there but I am not sure of the standard steps to take to sort this for a re-install.

The current situation is it won't boot to the main hard disk and goes around in circles only reaching as far as the Asus screen and then keeps rebooting. It seems stuck in a loop repeatedly.

These are the suspected causes -

I did some disk imaging and restoring using redo backup with good results with a 'complete computer restoration'. I then tried out restoring a WINDOWS ONLY complete system image as well. That must of confused Ubuntu also on my computer. The 'Ubuntu multi-boot grub' would suddenly not boot and gave a grub boot error saying it needed something altered. I then decided again to use the 'complete computer restoration image' that I had used succesfully at first and now it keeps booting around in circles in a repeating loop.  It would not fully restore due to the grub issues probably.  In theory the grub should be reinstated as its being overwritten with the redo complete computer image.

Would some one be prepared to ask questions here and give a shot in helping me ?! I can describe anything you want me to if you have a list of questions. I can also follow instructions quite well and am williing to troubleshoot , give logs if instructed if you show me how. Windows was installed first and Ubuntu installed after with the default multi-boot grub.

I made an image of the entire computer as described and also a seperate Windows system complete image too (as described). If I try to restore the windows image seperately this causes the issues from what I can tell with the grub. Then a whole computer image restore gets problems too afterwards.

Please if you'd help me I'd be most grateful. The first three small paragraphs show what I can potentially do with you if you'd guide me as to how. I have never done any recovery like this hence asking in a hardware forum.

Many thanks if you'd take the trouble to help I'd ne most appreciative !

Edited by Alpine1, 28 February 2014 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users