Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64 Bit Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DDRR3

DDRR3

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

My Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite 64 Bit comp screen suddenly went black. It turns on everything SOUNDS fine but screen is black. Tried flashlight to screen and see nothing. Tried the remove battery and power source hold down power button -- Is removing CMOS same as this? Tried external monitor. Loose cables? If a BIOS issue is there any way to fix comp from this state? Any way to recover system? Can't access BIOS, of course, because can't see anything and as such can't change boot order to boot from CD, etc. Seems odd that BIOS/motherboard would just suddenly die. Prior to black screen it booted into Windows but some weird issue connecting to Internet. Updated a driver from Toshiba site. I don't know if this was actually the cause for black screen. What can I do to restore computer and/or salvage what's left? Thanks would really appreciate some input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode?  If this is a driver issue you should be able to boot into Safe Mode where the manufacturer's graphics driver isn't used, a native Windows driver replaces it in Safe Mode.

What is the model of this Toshiba?

There may be a combination of keys like Fn + F5 to switch between the monitor and the laptop display.  But we need to know the model in order to find this information.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DDRR3

DDRR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:18 AM

Hi Dc3, thank you for your reply. Sorry for not providing the model -- it's a Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7930 Windows Home Premium 64 Bit. Yes, I've tried safe mode tapping F8 button and nothing -- same -- just a black screen. I attached the computer to an external monitor but nothing just black screen (other comps -- all XP 32 bit OS -- work just fine connected to external monitor -- the external monitor I used is an older ACER model). I've tried different keys to try toggling to external screen FN/F9, etc. -- don't know if I used correct ones. I've tried holding down ESC while powering on in an attempt to enter BIOS, as well as F12, F2 and also just pressing various keys randomly upon startup as a way to "force" it into BIOS which was suggested to me. Is there something I can try hardware-wise -- perhaps there's a loose cable which connects to screen or something like that? With regard to the driver, I can't remember the exact driver I downloaded but think it was a network driver update of some sort or one to resolve an internet connection issue (I couldn't get online for some reason so I thought updating a driver could help) but, again, I really can't say if the Toshiba driver update and the black screen problem are related because the black screen did not occur immediately following the driver download but rather a little later on. I'm just theorizing that driver update may have been a cause. Maybe installed something for 32 Bit OS instead of for 64 Bit? The comp sounds smooth, no clicks, no heavy laboring sounds when powering on, no beeps, clean dust-free. So pretty positive it's not HDD. I could get the data from hard drive since it seems okay, but in this case, I'm concerned less with stored data but primarily with just getting this computer up and running since it's a nice machine and well cared for. Baffling. From what I've researched, black screen issues can be difficult to troubleshoot/resolve but I've also heard of various, novel techniques which seem to work in certain cases just don't really know where to go from here with this particular computer. Don't know if getting into BIOS with this model requires something different than what I've tried or if it's a hardware thing which there may be a basic fix for. I've heard removing the CMOS for awhile may work but don't know if that's any different from holding the power button down without the battery or power source connected to reset BIOS. Bad RAM? I don't know. Thanks for your help!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

What happens when you press the power button?

Does the power light come on?

Does the hdd light show any activity with the hdd?

Is the cooling fan running?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DDRR3

DDRR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

Hi,
The hard drive is fine (it seems) as I removed it, and using a USB adapter, easily transferred the data to external HDD.
Yes, the power light comes on, hard drive led lights up. Sounds like it's powering up fine. As for the fan, the machine is so quiet it's hard to tell if it's on. Overall, the system is quiet on start up doesn't sound like its laboring. It powers on, sounds normal, settles and then just stops on black screen.

Thanks again. I Really hope I can get it running again.

#6 DDRR3

DDRR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

I cloned the hard drive

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

With what results?

#8 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Just a suggestion that would quickly rule out the driver thought:

You could use a linux live cd, fire up pc, boot from live disc.

No install from the disc required, you would only be using it as testing purposes,

If the display stays black then you can rule out driver issue i guess.

#9 DDRR3

DDRR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:30 AM

dc3, I just thought I'd include that I'd cloned the hard drive. It was successful -- don't know if that will help me in getting my computer running again but I at least have the hard drive in good shape. I decided to do a Malwarebytes scan on the drive and it turned up two instances of pup "We.Care.A lot" -- harmless Adware from what I understand. Ran a second scan with Hitman Pro and it turned up nothing.

With regard to Unique Obsession's suggestion regarding the use of a Linux Live Boot CD -- thanks for the suggestion but since I have a black screen I can't access BIOS to change the boot order from HDD to CD.

Thanks again for your time

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

At this point I don't believe this is a software problem, I suspect that that either this a problem with the integrated graphics since the external monitor doesn't work.  You also have indicated that you can't boot into the BIOS, this further indicates that this isn't a software problem.

When you try to switch between the laptop display and the external monitor you should be using the Fn + F5 combination, is this what you have tried?

#11 DDRR3

DDRR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hi dc3,
Corrections and Update: the HDD led is a light AMBER
color not a green. Also, looking through contents of Harddrive, I noticed that Combofix had been run, along with some other anti- malware programs. I had forgotten about running them. Qoobox is present and appears as though all users, admin account "appear" to be in quarantine. I was able to retrieve the data from the drive, no problem but now I wonder if Combofix or another caused problems because these programs were used around the time black screen issue appeared.
Thanks

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

How does it run just using the battery? Sometimes a power adapter will go out and not deliver enough power, or the round barrel connector end that goes to the pc is bad. The outer part is postiive, inner part is negative and the center pin wire is a sensor wire. If that is broken it can have adverse effects of the system running. The sensor wires tell the bios what voltage, watts etc the power adapter is. This has a lot to do with the power options in the bios as well. The port that it plugs into on the laptop can have a short for that sensor wire as well.

Edited by technonymous, 06 March 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#13 DDRR3

DDRR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hi Techonymous,
That is interesting you mention the battery/power supply as I was wondering about that myself as a possible cause. The reason I thought it was I examined the power/AC adapter I've been using is from an an old compaq/HP computer not one that came with the computer. also the computer does seem quiet/sluggish as though it's possibly not getting enough charge. AC Adapter says to us with HP/Compaq products only. The power cable came with a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop. Don't really know how I came to start using the Compaq one -- never noticed. The Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7930 that I'm having the black screen issue with is also larger and is a 64 Bit. I don't know much about what kinds of power sources/chargers are needed -- I figured as long as it fit/worked in one laptop it would also work in another. Suggestions would be much appreciated. I think you may be on to something...
Thanks

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Please post the voltage and amperage of the adapter you are using.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi Techonymous,
That is interesting you mention the battery/power supply as I was wondering about that myself as a possible cause. The reason I thought it was I examined the power/AC adapter I've been using is from an an old compaq/HP computer not one that came with the computer. also the computer does seem quiet/sluggish as though it's possibly not getting enough charge. AC Adapter says to us with HP/Compaq products only. The power cable came with a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop. Don't really know how I came to start using the Compaq one -- never noticed. The Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7930 that I'm having the black screen issue with is also larger and is a 64 Bit. I don't know much about what kinds of power sources/chargers are needed -- I figured as long as it fit/worked in one laptop it would also work in another. Suggestions would be much appreciated. I think you may be on to something...
Thanks

Desktops the power cord is usually all the same. On a laptop it is a little more critical. You could be harming the laptop giving it to much power. Not enough power and you get issues too. As an example...

I came across a Dell laptop that had sluggish slow issues. It turns out that the power cord box has been knocked around one to many times. Inside the box a copper coil soldered to the board had popped loose and was dangling around in there crisscrossing other wires. It was only delivering partial power and the bios would sense this and the power options would down power the cpu to 800mhz instead of full 1600mhz while plugged in. Pulling the power the bios was set to run 800mhz instead of full 1600mhz to conserve battery life. The cord was also not charging the battery properly. Furthermore, the cord on the end has a sensor wire inside the barrel if this is broken or power port on the laptop is shorting out it will cause similar issues as a failing power supply box. Again, to low of voltage or to high of voltage causes problems. In other words you should always use the adapter that goes with the laptop. They all have different specs.

In response to your post #3 yes monitors can get shorted out as the wire straps run through the hinge of the laptop screen. It's possible this finally wore it out. Or the power inverter or tube in the screen itself is also worn/blown. On a serious note: Do not attempt to repair this yourself the inverter has small high voltage capacitors that will happily kill you if you was to get electrocuted by it. A tech should be consulted with to do the hardware repairs.

Edited by technonymous, 08 March 2014 - 02:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users