Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AA_v 3.exe . . . How do I get rid of it?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Garboon

Garboon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

I understand this program enables remote access to my computer.  I also understand that using Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" feature will not remove it.  What do I need to do?

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2014 - 03:18 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saputr4

saputr4

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

maybe you can use applications such as "Revo Uninstaller"
or via safe mode to remove it
w.png

#3 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Did you install this program?

When did it appear on your system?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,126 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

FWIW:  http://www.ammyy.com/en/ .

Louis

#5 Garboon

Garboon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Did you install this program?

When did it appear on your system?

No, I did not install this program (AA_v3.exe)

In my "Downloads" folder it carries the creation date: 11/29/2012

#6 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

This software has been implicated as a malware vector, so we need to help you make sure your system is clean as well as removing the software.

What antivirus and antispyware products do you have installed?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

If it is only showing in your downloads folder that does not necessarily mean it has been installed...you may only be looking at the file. If that's the case you should be able to remove it.

If you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed, you can use its built-in FileAssassin feature for removing stubborn malware files.
  • Open Malwarebytes, go to the "More Tools" tab and click on "FileASSASSIN" to download and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on fileassassin-setup to install and run the tool.
  • Drag the file to be removed into the text area or click the (...) button and browse to its location.
  • When you find the file, click on it to highlight, then select Open.
  • Leave the default "Attempt FileASSASSIN's method of file processing".
  • Put a check mark next to Delete file and click Execute to begin the removal process.
  • If removal did not require a reboot, you will receive a message indicating the file was deleted successfully.
  • Click Ok, exit FileASSASSIN and reboot your computer anyway.
  • If the file did not remove, start the program again...locate the file the same way as before but this time put a check next to "Use delete on Windows reboot functions" and click Execute.

Caution: Be careful what you delete. FileAssassin is a powerful program, designed to remove highly persistent files. Using it incorrectly could lead to serious problems with your operating system if removing a critical file.

-- Note: If the detected file keeps returning after repeated removal attempts, then you probably have other malware on your system which is protecting or regenerating it.

If you don't have Malwarebytes installed you can download the portable version of FileASSASSIN.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Garboon

Garboon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

If it is only showing in your downloads folder that does not necessarily mean it has been installed...you may only be looking at the file. If that's the case you should be able to remove it.

If you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed, you can use its built-in FileAssassin feature for removing stubborn malware files.

• Open Malwarebytes, go to the "More Tools" tab and click on "FileASSASSIN" to download and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on fileassassin-setup to install and run the tool.
  • Drag the file to be removed into the text area or click the (...) button and browse to its location.
  • When you find the file, click on it to highlight, then select Open.
  • Leave the default "Attempt FileASSASSIN's method of file processing".
  • Put a check mark next to Delete file and click Execute to begin the removal process.
  • If removal did not require a reboot, you will receive a message indicating the file was deleted successfully.
  • Click Ok, exit FileASSASSIN and reboot your computer anyway.
  • If the file did not remove, start the program again...locate the file the same way as before but this time put a check next to "Use delete on Windows reboot functions" and click Execute.

Caution: Be careful what you delete. FileAssassin is a powerful program, designed to remove highly persistent files. Using it incorrectly could lead to serious problems with your operating system if removing a critical file.

-- Note: If the detected file keeps returning after repeated removal attempts, then you probably have other malware on your system which is protecting or regenerating it.

If you don't have Malwarebytes installed you can download the portable version of FileASSASSIN.

I downloaded the portable version of FileASSASSIN   It seems to have worked.  I cannot find the file on my system any more.  Thank you!!!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

You're welcome.

#10 Garboon

Garboon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

This software has been implicated as a malware vector, so we need to help you make sure your system is clean as well as removing the software.

What antivirus and antispyware products do you have installed?

I apologize for the delay.  Quietman7 showed me how to get rid of the AA_v3.exe file.

To answer your questions: I use AVG for my anti-virus and I have Malwarebytes also.  I used Malwarebytes' "FileASSASIN" to get rid of the file.

#11 Garboon

Garboon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

FWIW:  http://www.ammyy.com/en/ .

Louis

I noted your request to run "DDS.com"  When I tried <Left Click> on it, my Windows7 said it couldn't "open" the file.  Just for the exercise, I tried every application offered just to see what happened (nothing.)  Nor could I execute the program from the command prompt.

Edited by Garboon, 03 March 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

DDS is a specialized tool for creating a log for posting in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, by those needing assistance with malware disinfection. Is that what you are trying to do?

#13 Garboon

Garboon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

DDS is a specialized tool for creating a log for posting in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, by those needing assistance with malware disinfection. Is that what you are trying to do?

No, that's not what I'm trying to do now.  But in the beginning I mis-read something, and I thought I needed to run DDS - if only to produce the log on my hard drive.  I'm wondering what I did wrong because I cannot execute the DDS.com program.

Edited by Garboon, 03 March 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

You should be able to just double-click on it or right-click and choose open to run...same as if it had an .exe extension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users