Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 4300 Operating system loading problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

This desktop suddenly stopped booting to windows [XP], after the logon screen it showed an error message suggesting the hard drive's files be backed up and the hard drive replaced. i first tried to run Puppy Linux Boot CD to see if the HDD was indeed the problem, Puppy started loading but would take forever to load so I put in another HDD and attempted to reload XP but on the "installing windows" screen it showed "39 minutes remaining" but after a few hours it was still showing that time, I tried installing another copy of XP, same deal, I then tried another HDD and same situation so I am guessing that this is not a HDD problem? If so, any ideas why any OS whether XP or Linux is taking forever to load please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

My first guess would be a bad CD/DVD drive since Puppy took forever.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Bad cd/dvd drive?

Were all of those hard drives you tried new? Can you boot linux from a flash drive? My suggestion would be to try booting from a flash drive. You can use any version of linux but I might recommend Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

If it will not boot to any OS there is likely a hardware issue somewhere. The first test I usually run is Memtest86: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

You can just download the file and burn directly to a disc, no need to extract.

Edited by zingo156, 28 February 2014 - 08:28 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,542 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

well, maybe I can first try running Linux from an external cd drive? Would that work?

Edited by mystic12, 28 February 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

Puppy linux is very small so if that took forever, I might suspect a problem with the cd drive as JohnC mentioned above. You can try a larger version of linux such as mint... Usually off a disc Mint takes a few minutes to boot. If it takes more than a half hour you have some issue either with the cd/dvd drive or possibly something else. Being that dvd drives are very cheap that would be the first component I would replace and retry.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,542 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

Tried another cd rom and new HDD, same deal, looks like someone either did some work or replaced the PSU on this machine, best junk this very unit, thanks for the help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users