Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my pc to game on more seriously

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

I am upgrading my PC to play more games on. By more I mean the newer more demanding games out there. I.E. BF4, titanfall, etc

Here is what I have so far...

My comp is dell Inspiron 660

I bought a new case, Power supply, fans, and am currently trying to figure out what matters most on a video card

I am debating two different versions of the Nvidia GTX770 4gb GDDR5

one has 1059MHZ core clock and 1111MHZ boost ($349.00)

the other has 1150MHZ core clock and 1202MHZ boost ($439.00)

Is this a huge difference? Worth the extra $90?

As far as I can tell all of the other specs are the exact same.

PNY GTX770

I have been a console gamer my whole life so looking at the specs of the new consoles, I just figured why not go full PC.

Here are the specs of the other stuff

Intel i5-3340 3.10ghz

12gb DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

750w corsair modular power supply

and a new case

I am planning on using the same disc drive (eventually upgrading to BRD),

Hard drive (1tb), Motherboard.

I am very new to this so if anyone sees any compatibility issues or has some advice please share.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

You said you bought a new case, which one did you get?  The GTX 770 is a great graphics card for the price since many of the Radeons are above their MSRP.  The difference between those two cards you list are with their clock speeds, one will offer 5% or greater performance over the other.  You can technically get the slower card and overclock it yourself to the faster card's level, but the advantage of getting the faster card initially is that it is fully covered under the manufacturer's warranty despite it being overclocked from the factory.  The faster card may also have better cooling to handle the higher speeds.

3939.png

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

Add cooler even if you do not intend over clocking it is a wise investment for all serious gamers, you may decide to bump it up later on that will put you a step ahead.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the response. The case I bought is NZXT guardian 921. I was worried about the card fitting inside.

The PNY card is 1.5'' shorter than the ones made by EVGA and Gigabyte

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

Looks like a great case!

#6 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone, A water cooler is out of my budget for right now. I intend to pick one up after a bit. I'll also need to see how much room there is once it is built. again thanks for the input. My brother is coming over today to help me swap everything in to the new case and install some stuff.

***UPDATE*** We have installed everything into the new case. We can not get anything to turn on. The only thing we have changed is the power supply (corsair 750w) The power buttons on the new case are different. The factory case has a single button 8 pin connection to the MB, The new case has a 6 pin modular connection (3 separate 2 pin connections) Any ideas? We have tried multiple configurations with the 6 pin connection

***UPDATE#2*** Computer turns on and everything is running ok, we ended up taking the old power button off of the Dell and plugging it in to the MB.(not a long term solution) Just to make sure the new PS is ok. Any ideas?

SIDE NOTE - The old GT 220 Video card I had isnt working anymore but the 770 will be here soon so I'm not worried about that. I just had to use an old VGA cable. It's not easy to break the PCI Express 16 slot right? The old video card has been in like 5 machines and my daughter got a hold of it for a few seconds. It seems like the old VC isnt sending a The monitor recognizes its plugged in DVI but says no signal being recieved. again any ideas?

Edited by BoltsFan760, 03 March 2014 - 12:50 AM.

#7 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

***UPDATE 3*** Fixed the power button issue this morning. I ended up tracing the wires and just matching them up. Now I have a whole new series of problems. Not sure if this is the right forum, if not please direct me to the correct one.

I recieved and error message stating windows hasnt updated in 365000 days and my warranty has expired on 12/21/15. The system date showed 12/2099, and that todays date is 03/14/3099. I can't open my Eset smart security suite program. I tried a system restore to a few days ago but that did not work either. I called DELL support and they said I have a virus from torrent site. I dont know what that is. Said they'd fix it for $240.00. They also said a factory reset wont work becasue something is wrong with the registry. Also any I right click on the desktop, I get a error from IE staing the microsoft visual c++ has requested to stop on an unusual runtime. Any advice?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Deleted my comment!

Edited by OldPhil, 03 March 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#9 BoltsFan760

BoltsFan760
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

UPDATE 4 - It seems the BIOS clock defaulted when we changed cases or something like that. I got help on another part of this site. I just had to reset the BIOS date/time and the date/time on the bottom right of the screen. Luckily all is well Thanks for all the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users