Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv5-1036tx not powering on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hwciua4i

Hwciua4i

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

I bought a HP Pavilion dv5-1036tx laptop back in 2008. 

It currently struggles to boot on. When I press the power button, the lights all blink and then shut off. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the power brick as the power light is always on and if a battery is plugged in the light indicates charging (even though my current battery is dead so I always use the adapter).

I've tried opening up the laptop to figure out the problem but have not been able to.

On occassion, the laptop strangely does boot up - the last time it did this, I was able to keep it on for a week. That's the thing - if it boots up, it works fine, but it won't boot up consistently (i.e. if it goes to sleep or I power it off there is no guarantee that it will boot up again). 

The problem is similar to what is shown by the person in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_jeVjiSeNw

Please help in fixing this problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

There have been a plague of problems with the DV series and G series from HP, that being said, have you tried removing the main battery, then removing the power adapter. Leave unplugged for about a minute. Then only plug the power adapter back in leaving the battery out... This has worked for me on many dv series laptops. You may just have a bad battery (since you mention it does not charge this may very well be the case).

Edited by zingo156, 28 February 2014 - 10:30 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Hwciua4i

Hwciua4i
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the response.

Yes I've tried this before - also have tried holding down the power button down for a minute without the battery or power adapter and then plugging the power adapter back in but this didn't work either. I also tried opening everything up, cleaning the fan & heatsink and applying new thermal paste. It worked for a few boots and then stopped working.

My battery has been dead for quite a while so I always use the power adapter alone - but I just wanted to note that when I do plug in the battery the light still indicates charging when the laptop is off - so it seems power is going through the motherboard fine. And yeah at the times it does power up (usually after not trying for a few days), it works fine for the most part and stay on fine - it's like the problem is just getting it to start.

Is there anything else you would recommend trying?

Thanks again.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

Specs on this computer are hard to find, even HP is very coy on the subject !  If you bought it in 2008, are you running Vista ?  Regardless of the fact that your battery is dead, if the power supply is plugged into the wall and switched on, it should run.

I suggest that you try a repair install using a Windows repair disc if you don't have the original install disc to hand, this link tells you how to get one :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

Note that these discs come in two flavours - 32 bit and 64 bit, and you need the appropriate one for your operating system. The tutorial also includes instructions on how to convert the downloaded ISO file into a bootable disc. They are available for at least Vista and Win 7, I have one of each sitting beside me.

As a last resort, if you have a recovery partition, you could try doing a restore but back up all your data first. A repair install will not affect your data, but it is still a good idea to back up your data before you start one.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Hwciua4i

Hwciua4i
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hi Chris, thanks for the response.

The laptop came with Windows Vista but I switched and have been using Win 7 32 bit for the past few years - I even reformatted and reinstalled Win 7 back in January.

The problem is more just getting it to start - as in - like in the video, when I press the power button, the lights all blink for a second and then power down. So its like they power on and power off immediately - so I can't get into the Bios or Windows or anything as it just doesn't start. Sometimes it does and when it does, everything seems to work fine for the most part - i.e. I'm able to go into Windows and use it as I normally would - however, if I shut it off or it goes to sleep, then I am unable to get it to start again.

There have been a few times that its worked fine for a few boots (which is when I was able to reformat and reinstall Win 7) - but than it has reverted to not booting.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can try doing.

Thanks again for the help.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

You may have a bad stick of ram... Have you tried using just one stick or the other? Or if you only have 1 stick moving it to the other slot? This would be my first step... Any piece of hardware can cause a no post which seems to be the case here. Ram is the easiest to start with. You must have at least 1 stick in to run. So try only 1 in both slots. If you have 2 sticks try each in both slots. If you still can not get it to run, pull the hard drive, wireless card and any other hardware including the keyboard etc. Then try to power on. Best of luck.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 Hwciua4i

Hwciua4i
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

My laptop has 2 sticks of ram - one 2GB stick and 1GB stick.

I tried each in both slots individually but was still unable to get it to run.

I also tried removing everything and powering the motherboard alone (with the CPU attached) but was unable to get it to start up.

Its strange as a few months ago, after removing and putting the ram back and removing and putting the HD back a few times, I was able to get it to boot up a consistently for a while - but this no longer seems to work. The lights all just blink and go out.

Anything else I could try to troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Have you tried a new power adapter? Just because the light is on does not mean the tip that plugs into the computer is getting power (you can test it with a multimeter set to DC the outside is ground the inside is positive, the jack in the laptop could also be bad or shorting. If a new power adapter does not work then:

Remove all of the hardware that is not needed, the hard drive, the wireless card, etc then power it on. Leave the hard drive out and any other hardware you can except 1 stick of ram, the main board, the built in monitor. If you can take out the keyboard remove this and disconnect things under it like the webcam (if it has one).

As I mentioned before, the DV series was plagued with issues like this. Usually it was the video chipset that had failed which would require replacing the main board and I would not recommend doing this.

#9 Fielder07

Fielder07

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

hi , I think I experience the very same problem with my DV5. I actually stumbled on a solution that works every time I try booting and it refuses ... when it goes into a start up-shutdown loop:
Press power button then flap down the laptop and wait till the log on screen comes . Then log on . it'll start with zero qualms. However when I don't flap down after pressing the power button it is such a nuisance trying to get it powered.
I discovered this when I was frustrated waiting for it to power on , that after pressing and waiting for ten minutes while it played between on and off ,i flapped down and gave up , then I actually heard the startup music for windows !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users