Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple reoccurring BSODs

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 DocThor

DocThor

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hey.

I've had now quite a while problem with different BSODs. At start there was only MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTIONS about year ago and I trouble shot it with Nvidia tech support and they went away with change of GPU drivers.

Situation now is that most of my computer games either crash without BSOD, giving error, back to Windows or cause BSOD, and sometimes game just freezes and I need to reboot by button, and this all happens irregularly. Sometimes I can play for hours without problems and sometimes it happens in minutes. I've also started to get random BSODs (though rarely) when surfing in internet without doing anything particular. Mostly problem is with newer games like Far Cry 3, Call of Duty Ghosts etc., but for example Plants vs Zombies works just fine.

My computer is self built with following components:

Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge 3570K 3,4 GHz 
ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti 
ASUS P8Z77-V LX 
Patriot Viper 3 8 Gt DDR3-1600 
CORSAIR CX600 80 PLUS Bronze 
Seagate Barracuda 7200 - 2 TB 
KINGSTON V+200 SSD 120 GB
Windows 7 64-bit

I've run Memtest86 for 7 passes, Prime95 for 36 hours without problems together with Video Card Stability Test for 687 minutes, I've also used Hot CPU Tester Pro and Crystal Disk without problems. My drivers should be on date and I've also re-installed my Windows when problems initially started. Computer temperatures seem to stay stable under heavy load, GPU at 73°C maximum. Also voltages seem to stay stable when followed with AI Suite II. I've not OC'd my computer at all.

My virus program is Avast! and I also use SpyHunter 4 and Spybot - Search & Destroy. I've also used Junkware Removal Tool. Browser I use is Chrome (and Firefox sometimes).

I've attached BSODs' information as Bluescreen.txt as well as Hot CPU Tester results.

Thank you beforehand.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PeterQ

PeterQ

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

You could try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c0onEJXU2E

#3 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Drivers for motherboard from here - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/#support

Chipset,Audio,Lan,USB and Sata are necessary.

For videocard from Nvidia site http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Instead using SpyHunter and Spybot - Search & Destroy,start using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.I assure you they are much better.

#4 DocThor

DocThor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

I ran memtest and checked both my hard drives and didn't find any problems. I also upgraded all my drivers. I've not got any BSODs for now but my games still crash every now and then. From games I've tested BF4 and FarCry 3 crash rather often and quickly but Diablo III has not crashed once.

I've also faced new problem. When I'm using internet, watching videos or gaming my programs randomly drop to desktop (like when using Windows button) usually several times and differing intervals sometimes couple times in row and sometimes with long times in between. With internet browser and Office programs the program window just deactivates and Windows' taskbar activates. Sometimes restarting computer helps but not every time. This happens with all programs. What could cause this and what can be done to solve this? I tried removing my keyboard but that did nothing to it.

#5 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

hi!  :hello: can you try disabling avast and seeing if crashes still happen while you are gaming.

Please follow the below tutorial to know how to use "Speccy" to collect system info.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Don't paste the output displayed by "Speccy" here. Instead paste the web link it displays.

Minitoolbox log.

Download "Minitoolbox" from the below link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

List last 10 Event viewer errors
List installed program
List users, partition and memory size
List Minidumps

Now click "Go" and post the output displayed in next reply.

Edited by acerts04, 11 March 2014 - 01:59 PM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#6 DocThor

DocThor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for advise. Here you go with the gathered info:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RRRBDmANwkGx3F2Ix2uwvld

Attached Files

#7 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

hello, your bios is very old. please flash your bios using the ez flash utility to the newest version which is 2303. i believe this is what is causing your system problems.

BIOS
Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 1201
Date: 17.8.2012

here is the link for your motherboard bios downloads

this video guide should give you an idea of how to flash your bios

also please uninstall spybot S&D

Edited by acerts04, 14 March 2014 - 07:05 PM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#8 DocThor

DocThor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Flashing BIOS didn't really do the trick. My Windows has crashed now several times right at start or soon after, giving MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD. Also my RAM speed plummeted to 686 MHz, given by Speccy, or around 1375 MHz, given by BIOS. Flashing itself went pretty quickly without problems and computer restarted couple times but then problems started. Is there something I can do to that? I updated BIOS to 2303 from ASUS website and followed the instructions of video.

------------------------------------------------------------EDIT---------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the BSOD file as my computer has stayed on for now. And I also earlier removed Spybot.

Attached Files

Edited by DocThor, 19 March 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#9 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

did you have any overclocking or tweaks? after updating the bios, you'll want to load optimized defaults. should be in the save and exit screen somewhere. make sure you do this before reading any further, see if that gives you some stability.

also, please uninstall "protected folder" and "everest home edition"

#10 DocThor

DocThor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

Nope, I've not OC:d or tweaked my computer by any form. I'll try that anyway and see if it helps. And I will remove those programs.

#11 DocThor

DocThor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

After loading optimized settings my computer came unstable again and BSODs during start up, welcoming screen or straight after. It seems to stay on in safe mode. I added file about newest BSODs.

Attached Files

#12 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

Did you remove everest and protected folder?
Also did you update your chipset drivers from your motherboard website?

#13 DocThor

DocThor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Yes I removed both earlier and updated drivers.

#14 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

ok so you say that the machine is ok safe mode right? i want you to do some troubleshooting using as clean boot to see if we can isolate the culprit causing your system crashes. follow the below tutorial carefully

Performing a Windows 7 Clean Boot

Log in to Windows 7 using an account that has administrative privileges Click on Start>Run. If you don’t have the Run command on your Start menu, you can alternatively hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key. With the Run dialogue window open, type in msconfig and click the OK button.

Type-MSCONFIG-in-the-Run-Dialogue-Window

You should now be looking at the System Configuration window. Click on the Services tab.

Services-Tab-on-the-System-Configuration

On the Services tab, you’ll notice a long list of services available on your PC. Some have checks next to them and some don’t. Those that do are scheduled to load automatically the next time Windows 7 boots up. This next step is extremely important so don’t skip it.

Perform-Clean-Boot-in-Windows-7_thumb.pn

First, check the box labeled Hide All Microsoft Services. As its name implies, this will hide all Microsoft services on the list. Most if not all of these services are required for Windows 7 to function properly.

Next, click the Disable All button. By performing these two steps, you have effectively turned off all services from third-party software developers. All Microsoft services remain intact and ready to load when you reboot Windows.

Finally, click the OK button and reboot Windows 7. When you reboot, you may get messages that certain hardware and software are not unavailable. This is normal. In fact, by disabling these components in your PC, you can go back to the Services tab on the System Configuration window and turn on only those services known to be functioning properly. The rest you can turn on one at a time to troubleshoot the errors you were getting in Windows 7.

Different from Safe Mode, a Clean Boot lets you disable all non-Microsoft background applications and services to troubleshoot a PC running Windows 7. Once disabled, you can begin turning third-party services back on to diagnose your computer.

Just be sure to hide all Microsoft services before you use the Disable All button. Otherwise, you may encounter boot up errors when you reboot your PC.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

The cpu temps are high at 65c idle. That should be like mid 40's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users