Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuck on a loop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gleegal

gleegal

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hi! 

I'm not really sure how to explain what's happened to my computer so I'll start with what I tried to do.  I was low on memory so I was attempting to delete some programs and such to create more room.  I downloaded a program ( the name escapes me) that was supposed to delete temporary files and duplicate files on your computer that you may or may not have been aware of as to create space if you don't have many programs to delete.  The problem came after the program (duplicate file deletion) did the first scan of my C: Drive.  I thought that it would only bring up erroneus programs but once I sent the supposed duplicates to the recycle bin I got an error message that stated I may have removed files critical to my operating system to function properly.  So, before I permanently deleted anything out of my recycle bin I restarted my computer to see if it would upload correctly and validate that I was ok emptying my recycle bin.  This is where the problem starts:

After the computer starts it loops between the dell screen and the xps screen.  It looks like it's loading correctly then it loops. I tried restoring to previous settings but I couldn't figure it out and I'm not sure if I've damaged my sysem beyond repair. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:31 AM

The problem came after the program (duplicate file deletion) did the first scan of my C: Drive.

I downloaded a program ( the name escapes me) that was supposed to delete temporary files and duplicate files

Hi -

This sounds like a typical case of downloading a Registry Cleaner Program that has made your system almost unusable.

Are you able to start the computer in Safe Mode (would prefer Safe Mode with Networking).

I am unable to find the program you refer to, but any more information you have would be very good -

If you need directions for Safe Mode, please ask and we can post them.

#3 gleegal

gleegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

I did try starting in safe mode to no avail. After much research I found the programs I used : CCleaner- http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
WinDirStat- http://windirstat.info/download.html
DupeGuru- http://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru/

Thanks for your help!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hi -

Of the 3 programs you listed, only one has come up a few times with problems - DupeGuru -

I am not sure if you know how to start Windows in Safe Mode, with Networking for now, but this is required.

If not, can you download these programs to another computer and transfer them with a USB Flash drive -

Please run these few programs. Download them to desktop, and Copy and Paste any logs back here.

We need to look for any installed programs or problems.

First -
Download Screen317 Security Check and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
* Please post the contents of that document.
Note:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Next -

Please download MiniToolBox to desktop to run it.
Checkmark following boxes:
* List last 10 Event Viewer log
* List Installed Programs
* List Devices (DO NOT change any settings here)
* List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and post the result. (result.txt)

If these programs will run, please post the results back here first -

If they will not run, please tell me why not -

If you are having severe problems, do you have or can you borrow a XP install CD

#5 gleegal

gleegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:05 AM

Hi thanks for replying. I'm a bit confused on the instructions. I'm not able to start my computer in safe mode at all, so how would I be able to run the programs on the desktop? Sorry if it's obvious I just don't understand.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

Do you have a windows xp cd? Do you know what version it is (for example SP2, SP3).  Because I think you need to do a repair install.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

I'm not able to start my computer in safe mode at all, Sorry if it's obvious I just don't understand.

That is OK -

I was just asking in case you had managed to boot the system yet .......

I will try and ask for someone that works on Unbootable Computers to help -

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

What model Dell system is this?

Have you tried the forums for the Dupe Guru software, http://forum.hardcoded.net/1/ ?

Louis

#9 billman87

billman87

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

Do you have a windows xp cd? Do you know what version it is (for example SP2, SP3).  Because I think you need to do a repair install.

This, when you run the installation disk it MUST match the version your using to perform a repair installation (Service Pack).

Here is a Step by Step guide to doing a repair install on XP.

This will not remove anything just overwrites system files, fixes the registry and reconfigure your hardware.

It can break product licensing and some software will need reinstalling.

I do suggest making a HDD image first as if it goes wrong you could loose data.

Also have you used a live CD  to run a chkdsk? sometimes partition corruption can cause boot looping.

Moderator Edit: Edited to remove reference to specific not recommended  software

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 March 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Did you use the registry backup option before running the Ccleaner registry cleaner?

You probably have already figured it out that when registry cleaners or optimizers are used without fully understanding their use it can major head aches.  

Just for the record, the following expresses Bleeping Computer's stance on registry cleaners and optimizers.

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hello gleegal,

billman87's advice is spot on. Please proceed with those instructions.

For future reference, if you get a warning again about removing critical files, restore them from the recycle bin BEFORE rebooting.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

This, when you run the installation disk it MUST match the version your using to perform a repair installation (Service Pack).

Actually, recently I repaired an XP SP3 with an SP2 disc. It would have gone smoother if I had slipstreamed a disc to SP3, but, just saying you *can* do it, but, it will break windows update, and then you just have to manually download and install SP3 and then do windows updates, not to mention you have to reinstall your drivers. (Not recommending it, just giving out info I learned.)

#13 ScrapCath

ScrapCath

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Thank you so much for this advice. It worked a treat :thumbup2: So relieved. Keep up the great work! :)

#14 gleegal

gleegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

Thanks for all the advice it's a dell xps m140. So from what I'm gathering it looks as though the only way out of this is to do a reinstall. My Cd driver hasn't worked in years so I'm thinking ill try to find it on a USB or I may be a lost cause. Maybe it was naive of me to think that I would be able to manually "reset" the system back to before I attempted cleaning te drive

Yes. Never ever clean using those drive systems my computer was old but it worked and now it looks like all is lost :(

#15 gleegal

gleegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:34 AM

Also I looked up the dupe guru forum and it looks like this situation has happened before but I couldn't see any fixes. They simply said user beware type of answer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users