Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed a windows update now all my files are gone!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lde27

lde27

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

A few days ago I installed a windows update (they install automatically) and when I turned my computer back on all my files were gone! It looks like all my settings were reset to when I first got the computer except all of my programs are still there. At first I thought the windows updated did this, but I did some searching online and read that it was probably a virus, and I didn't believe it, but now I know I have some type of virus because whenever I type in a web address in my browser it redirects to some other websites.

Luckily it didn't actually delete my files, when I go to c:\users\lapaul (myusername) my files are still all there, but for some reason when I go to the documents folder or pictures folder, no files are there. It seems like when windows is loading it is loading into the public user profile, or some other user profile that's not mine and that is why my files are there.

So anyways, I don't know what happened, but there is a button on my laptop where I just press it and it resets my computer to how it was the first day I got it. So I am going to just do that, but I want to backup my files first.

So my question is, how do I copy my files to an external hard drive while making sure none of the files are infected and that they don't infect my external hard drive? I just bought a brand new 1TB external hard drive and I haven't even opened it yet, and I don't want to get it infected the first time I use it.

Also, does anyone have any idea what happend to my computer? Was it the windows update or a virus? I have windows 7 btw.

Edited by lde27, 27 February 2014 - 05:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ProfessorCPU

ProfessorCPU

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

I suspect that your profile was corrupt.  If your profile was corrupt then windows logs onto a temp profile.  You can see this in your Users folder there will be a Temp directory.

This can be fixed.

Try this tutorial on how to fix a corrupt profile:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3495216/how-fix-corrupt-user-profile-in-windows-7-vista/

I hope this helps! :)

#3 lde27

lde27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thanks! That worked! All I did was remove the .bak from my profile in the registry and now it logs into my profile again. Oh btw, I don't think I do have a virus. I thought my browser was redirecting me when I tried to visit the lastpass website, but I was just typing in the wrong address. I was typing in www.mylastpass.com instead of www.lastpass.com and mylastpass.com redirects to some ad for norton.

Edited by lde27, 28 February 2014 - 06:29 AM.

#4 ProfessorCPU

ProfessorCPU

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Awesome!  Glad I could help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users