Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone Background Noise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hello,

I recently got a new laptop over Christmas and noticed that if whenever I record sound or video or use try to talk via Skype, my microphone makes noise in the background, which is also annoying to the person on the other end.

I have made the sound settings so that it mutes background noise and Microphone Levels are 100 with boost at 0. And Noise Supression and Acoustic Cancellation are checked.

I have no idea what else to do about this other than getting a separate microphone which Idon't want to do.

Please help?

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2014 - 07:01 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

I can only suggest that 100 is a lot high, I would turn it down. Do you know where the microphone is actually positioned, and roughly how far away from the microphone are you when speaking?

When you consider that in other normal microphone use it is quite close to your mouth, whereas on a laptop, and the type where the microphone is in the lid, you will be at least a foot away if not further, so ideally you want to be as close as possible with the microphone level turned down from that 100, say around 60 or at the most 70.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#3 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

Turning it down just made everything, including my voice, quieter. I have a Sony Vaio and my last laptop was a Vaio also but it was fine with the sound.

#4 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

With the laptop being only a few months old, it will still be under warranty, just in case there is some hardware problem try taking it back if bought locally. Or if a nearby technician, who can look at it and at least advise on the problem. I don't want to ask you to do anything that could void your warranty you see.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#5 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Try recording something with the laptop unplugged, a lot of times being plugged in causes a slight hum (50 or 60Hz generally depending on where you are from) from the mains.

#6 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

I have already tried this. No luck. I'm wondering if I can go into the store and test the sound out on the same laptop to see if that's just how the laptop was made. This is so annoying.

#7 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

I have already tried this. No luck. I'm wondering if I can go into the store and test the sound out on the same laptop to see if that's just how the laptop was made. This is so annoying.

Its probably hows it's made, the built in microphones are usually pretty crappy, never had much luck with them, to be honest it could be a fan inside the laptop that is spinning just so that it makes noise.

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:59 AM

If you go into your recording sound panel, try turning the volume all the way down on every other device (CD, line-in, etc). (Then again maybe that doesn't do anything, but, hey, that's how I set mine up.)  Beyond a laptop mic possibly being crappy, there can also be cross-talk on the wires unfortunately. You could always buy a headset I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users