Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 System Recovery boot CD cannot fix Master Boot Record if it's damaged

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peterk312

peterk312

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

This question is concerning the disc that Windows 7 users can make by going to Backup and Restore > Create a System Repair Disc and then burning the disc.

Windows says this disc can be used to boot the computer. However, you won't necessarily be able to boot your Windows 7 OS from the hard drive. When I had a problem recently (shut down system and when restarted I got a DOS message that said "Boot MGR missing") this disc did nothing in an attempt to make a repair. From the System Recovery Menu you see here when you boot the CD:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-are-system-recovery-options#what-are-system-recovery...

I selected "Startup Repair" and it couldn't fix anything. I ended up cloning my hard drive from a backup.

From http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/startup-repair-faq#1TC=windows-7

"Are there problems that Startup Repair can't fix?

Startup Repair can only fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files. It can't fix hardware failures, such as a failing hard disk or incompatible memory, nor does it protect against virus attacks.

Startup Repair isn't designed to fix Windows installation problems, nor is it a backup tool, so it can't help you recover personal files, such as photos or documents. To help protect your computer, back up your system and files regularly. For more information, search for "backup" in Windows Help and Support."

So here's my question: How do you create a bootable CD that has everything you need to fix the Master Boot Record so that in the event that your boot files are damaged, corrupted, or deleted (and of course you can't boot your system from the hard drive) it will either fix the files on the hard drive or at least still boot your OS from your hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

the recovery disk can fix the MBR...

here's how

#3 peterk312

peterk312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

here's how

That link is good info for "how to use your 7 DVD and BOOTSECT.EXE to restore the 'bootsector code' of the MBR and allow you to begin booting to Windows 7 again." It contains the steps to follow, that I'm sure just about nobody knows about except the most advanced user. Using command prompts like this requires having all this info accessible even if you can't get into your system.

What is the point of the "Startup Repair" recovery tool option if you really need to go through command prompts in order to fix boot problems?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

It's not well known but you should do startup repair up to three times in order for it to repair all errors.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

here's how

That link is good info for "how to use your 7 DVD and BOOTSECT.EXE to restore the 'bootsector code' of the MBR and allow you to begin booting to Windows 7 again." It contains the steps to follow, that I'm sure just about nobody knows about except the most advanced user. Using command prompts like this requires having all this info accessible even if you can't get into your system.

What is the point of the "Startup Repair" recovery tool option if you really need to go through command prompts in order to fix boot problems?

If you want to fix your own computer with an issue like MBR problems you would be expected to have some knowledge. The most advanced level is a long way past this... Really. if you can't remember the steps, print them out. You'd only have to do it once and then you will remember. I don't consider myself anywhere near advanced, but I know 3 different ways to fix MBR problems. This is the least dangerous of them, for people who are willing to type a line or two of code to fix their problem.

The point of the startup repair tool is to make it easier for people to fix their machines. It enters the correct command line environment for repairs, as well as doing the point and shoot repairs for very common issues. It is not the same command line as in Windows.

#6 peterk312

peterk312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Well I'm glad I know now, and thanks for the instructions. I guess in my case I had the right tool but I didn't know how to use it. I'll have to print out the instructions  for command prompts and keep it with my Windows 7 System Repair CD.

Thanks again.

Edited by peterk312, 01 March 2014 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users