Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just picked up an MPC Clientpro 365 tower w/P4 HT 3GHz

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zeugitai

Zeugitai

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

and tried to install Windows 98SE and failed.  30 GB IDE HDD formatted to Fat32.  Got through initial half of install to the section after plug and play detection.  After that . . . system could not boot and continue with device detection.  This is Intel desktop board D915GRV.

I can't figure out how to get the optical drive and the floppy drive out of their berths. It looked like the Dell Dimension 8200 plastic rails but doesn't seem to want to work the same way.

Does anyone have one of these?  Or the documentation?

Thanks!

Edited by Zeugitai, 27 February 2014 - 03:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

What tool did you use to prepare the disk?  Did you use Fdisk?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Zeugitai

Zeugitai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

FDISK then format for Fat 32. It's a routine I've followed on several old computers all of which were older than this one.

Edited by Zeugitai, 27 February 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

OK that is good.  When it tries to reboot are you getting any error messages?  Does it look like it's starting to load and then failing?

Windows 98 does not support more than one logical processor.  I would suggest going into the BIOS and disabling Hyperthreading.  See if that improves things.  If not, I would see if there is an option for disabling APIC (likely to be in one of the advanced BIOS options).  My understanding is that it's not supported by Win 98, although I'm not 100% on that.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Zeugitai

Zeugitai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Thanks!  That gives me something to go on.  It naturally restarted and looked normal, saying "continuing to load files . . . " but it stalls there infinitely. I may just go with xp on this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users