Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is The Hdd Dead

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:02 AM

Booted PC and recieved message
"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"
Checked for loose connections. Inserted Xp pro retail disc. Loads to the install,repair, quit page.
None of the selections react. Have to turn off at switch. In bios available boot item is cd drive. In drive configuration only CD is detected. any ideas or is the Hdd dead?
Thanks
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

Try connecting it to the other socket on your motherboard. Also if an IDE/UDMA/PATA drive double check the jumper setting. Made any changes to the system before this happened? Noticed any clicking or other "new" noises from the drive on bootup? I'm assuming the cable is keyed so it can't be installed backwards, never seen an 80-wire cable that wasn't like this.

Last resort, try a different cable (unlikely but they do fail), if no joy try to install as slave in another PC and see if it shows up in the BIOS there. If it does download and run the mfr's diagnostic utility.

I'm not gonna lie to you, it doesn't sound good. Basically when a HDD is not seen by the BIOS it's one of those four things: bad cable/connection, wrong jumper setting, bad controller circuit on the mobo, or failed drive. Unfortunately the last is the most common.

[Edit] Sorry I forgot one -- the power connector. Check voltages w/VOM or just try a different one, most machines have extras.

Edited by DaveM59, 14 May 2006 - 04:13 PM.

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:24 PM

Heya Boopme,

If your hard drive is SATA, and you have a RAID built into your motherboard like I do, you may have to fiddle around with your BIOS a bit.
A couple of times (especially when I first hooked it all up) the BIOS went back to default settings, which means that it wont detect the SATA drive AT ALL unless you turn off the RAID function, and change the SATA mode to AHCI (dont know what that means but)
But if you dont have RAID, then I dont know what your drama may be.... :thumbsup: I guess check that the SATA is set to the correct mode....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys try them . It is Sata,and I did hear some clicking yesterday that I thought was different.

Hey JP, Hope all is well. Not that I don't wish you well also Dave.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

It is Sata,and I did hear some clicking yesterday that I thought was different.

Clicking is generally the "Click of Death". I lost three WD (Western Digital) SATA drives last summer to just that same failure. WD RMA'd them all.
If the drive is less than a year old, contack WD support for a replacement.

Good Luck,
:thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Shadow, it's a dead duck. I will tho contact mfr. Also I will ty to slave it to see if I can get my last weeks data. If that don't work I'll need to take it to some one to retrieve my data. Went and bought a new drive as I need that machine running.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:04 AM

There are some programs out there that can revive dead drives and get your data back, SpinRite the best amongs them, but the clicking usually means it is some kind of mechanical error and then they won't help.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:27 AM

Thanks and Rats :thumbsup:

#9 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:41 PM

One trick I've heard of but never had to try is to put the drive in a plastic bag and stick it in the freezer for a few hours. Apparently this will _sometimes_ allow the drive to work normally for a short time so you can copy data off it.

No guarantees, obviously. I have seen testimony in credible forums in favor of this ploy but nobody says it's sure-fire.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

You know something, I will try that... I'll let all know if it works...
Appreciate the suggestion :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users