Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

404 Not Found nginx error when trying to access google

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thisisnew

thisisnew

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

Hi all,

As of approximately two days ago I started receiving an error whenever I try to access google. I am using Windows 7 and chrome (though the problem persists in IE and firefox). Instead of displaying the normal google homepage, it says "404 Not Found" as a header, with "nginx" printed underneath it. if I try to right click-->"search google for xx" I receive the following error:

Cannot connect to the real www.google.com

www.google.com has asked Chrome to block any certificates with errors, but the certificate that Chrome received during this connection attempt has an error.
Error type: HSTS failure
Subject: www.roku.com
Issuer: COMODO SSL CA 2
Public key hashes: sha1/9M0vQ3HxkrGqZL3wE9EAWUZauY8= sha256/QYokV6k1QKZxz+lMzfTZeAxnf0L26M0zr4MgTXvB0NA= sha1/uE+FiOc/0nMxZwyO54PCAfqAdSU= sha256/ZQ9eoBSw7yyRLq8Omdy1iWtvbQjQOQf36M0OF8QzRyA= sha1/T5x9IXmcrQ7YuQxXnxoCmeeQ84c= sha256/lCppFqbkrlJ3EcVFAkeip0+44VaoJUymbnOaEUk7tEU=

I do have a roku, which I have unplugged after reading this message, with no effect. I get this same message on my other laptop, which leads me to believe it is a network issue rather than malware (these computers do not cross and rarely visit the same websites, though I cannot rule out the possibility). I have tried a system restore and Norton Power Eraser on recommendations I found using a bing search, neither of which solved the problem. 

In addition, today I started having an issue accessing facebook. It seems to go on and off; right now I can access it fine but earlier today I was receiving this message:

Invalid URL

The requested URL "/", is invalid.

Reference #9.27f04f17.1393526582.3c6044c

I don't know if this is related or just a fluke one-off thing with particularly ridiculous timing (as I said, facebook is working fine right now). 

I believe the issue might have started during a power-outage here, but again it might just be similar timing. This is all the information I feel is relevant but if anything else is needed please let me know. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

These connectivity issues appear to be on the other end of the service, rather than your end. They are reverse proxy and site certification errors. There are things you could do to bypass these errors, but they would leave you vulnerable to 'man in the middle' attacks.

Meanwhile ,something that you can do that may help to resolve these issues is flush your dns cache, like this.>.

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Enter cmd in the Start menu search field.
  3. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Type the following command and press Enter: ipconfig /flushdns
  5. If the command was successful, you will see the following message:
    Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

:busy:

#3 thisisnew

thisisnew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Unfortunately that did not work; I am still unable to access google. Any other suggestions?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

You could try clearing your browsers temporary files using CCleaner.

Don't clean the registry or your restore points though... either one of these could lead to tears.

#5 thisisnew

thisisnew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

The cleaning also failed to work, I am still unable to access google. Facebook seems to be working fine ever since that one hiccup, so I am not sure if it is related.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

it's a pretty uncommon error, especially for such a big site as google...

you could change your dns server, might work. Although if the problem lies there you could expect your current one to update and fix itself in the not too distant future.

maybe someone else knows a different solution?

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

Make sure your time on the computer is synced properly. I have seen this before but it was so long ago i cannot remember how i fixed it but i think it was my time was slightly out.

#8 Tingler

Tingler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

FWIW I had the same issue after a power cut my time and computer date were totally out,  the date was showing 2005, so as johhny Jammer has said check to see if these are ok and reset if necessary.

#9 thisisnew

thisisnew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

My clock is set to the correct time (although having two people comment on it made me question my sanity for a moment -- is it REALLY March 1st? lol). Changing my DNS server also failed to work.

While changing the DNS I realized something a little strange. I live in an apartment complex that provides internet for the building. The wifi is named <Place name> wifi, and this is what shows up on the list of available networks. However when I connect to the network it says <Place name> wifi 2. I don't know if that '2' is meaningful or indicative of anything, but I figured I should mention. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users