Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't get past Windows Antivirus Suite to a browser to download and run DDS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zigmeister

Zigmeister

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

This malware appeared this morning.  Googled it and came up with the fix posted here by Lawrence Abrams.  Downloaded RemVines.reg to a memory stick and transferred to the infected computer per instructions.  Rebooted the infected machine normally and it went right back to the Windows Antivirus Suite display, not allowing me to access a browser and download Malwarebytes.    What now?  Appreciate any guidance.

Computer is a newly acquired (this week!) refurbished Dell Latitude E6410, running Windows 7.  One of the first programs I loaded was Microsoft Security Essentials, then ran a full scan with no problems indicated, so this infection probably didn't come with the computer.

NEW INFORMATION:  Advice to this initial post was to run DDS and post the logs, etc.  Problem, of course, is that I can't open a browser to download and run DDS.  Blocked by the virus.  Next advice was to repost with this information.  So, here I am.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi,

If you have another computer and a USB or CD, you could use them to download DDS and then transfer it over to the infected computer. Or if you can download in safe mode with networking then use that.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#3 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Zigmeister is now in Virus,Trojan...Forum.    Thank you.

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know, should have looked around. Well now I'm going to report this so a mod can close.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

MRL topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/525937/cant-get-rid-of-windows-antivirus-suite/ , currently being worked.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users