Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying software for computer maintenance

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

I am not sure whether this information I am posting belongs here or in another forum. Since I am not sure, I am going to post my question here.

I occasionaly help folks with their computers. I want some software that will aid me in doing this. I would like to have some of you experts check out this website for me and see what you think of the software tools they have for sale: http://www.spotmau.com/products/package/powersuite_harddrive.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=HD:%2BRepair-HD&utm_campaign=PSG_SS_Pid(809)_US_BM I would like to know it this software is worth the money or is there something better you could direct me to. I am helping a gentleman with his computer and this computer will not go into windows. I think the hard drive has gone out. I would like to get into this computer and save some of his files if this is possible. The above website says that their software can do this as well as many more things. Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2014 - 04:11 PM.
Moved from System Building to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

The best ways to get file from a machine with severe OS trouble is to pull the drive and connect it to a working machine.  The easiest way to do this is a USB to IDE/SATA adapter.  You may need a micro SATA to SATA adapter to work on some laptop drives.

I've never heard of that software, for $80 it isn't that expensive, but I doubt it can do everything, especially when it comes to data recovery.

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Thanks RKilroy. I appreciate the information you've provided. I will keep this in mind and check it out.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Make a LIVE LINUX CD or DVD. It will run only using the computer's RAM. No hdd interaction. Once the Live CD is booted

you can mount the Windows drive if the hdd is not damaged to the point where it can't be seen or mounted. You can use the Live CD to

recover files from the Windows drive, too.

Many Linux distros will work as LIVE. Puppy Linux has all the tools needed. How NOT to install Puppy Linux (to hard disk)

Download latest Puppy Linux release  (165 MB)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

I have checked with amazon.com and have found the item/items I would like to buy. This USB unit will work with IDE/Sata 2.5, 3.5 and 5.25 drives. You can take a dead hard drive and transfer file from it to another computer's hard drive. The thing I am not sure about the cabling I would need to do this. Would some of you folks who have more knowledge than I have with this check the below website and let me know what you think I would need to be able to transfer files off of either one of these two the types of hard drives I have mentioned above, Ide/Sata. Also look down below this where it says what others had bought after buying this unit. Thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YJBL78/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=04QN9FDA5MDEF8G5KXGY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Edited by wayne937, 01 March 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:28 AM

Hi, that adapter looks like it should be capable of transferring files of the hard drive unless it is already dead but overall the review seems positive which is reassuring. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users