Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Advice - I'm a n00b :_)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Redster11

Redster11

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Hey guys need some quick urgent advice. I'm in need of a laptop and have been offered 2 good deals.

One is a Toshiba R830-143 (Intel i5 processor, 6GB RAM) - 13.3" £230

Other is a newer laptop Asus S56C (Intel Core I5, 4GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce graphics card) - 15.6" £240

Which one is better, i usually just watch movies and browse the internet, nothing extreme. :)

Cheers.

Edited by Redster11, 27 February 2014 - 12:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Hi, Only You can decide which is better.

Is the bigger screen more important than the memory amount of the Asus?

Or is the smaller size and most likely lower weight of the Toshiba more important?

I will say this much it is much easy to upgrade the memory in the Asus and not possible to upgrade the Screen size of the Toshiba.

That would be the main difference to me. Since I like a bigger screen the answer for me would be easy. In Your case maybe not so easy.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Redster11

Redster11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hi i just want Value for money, which one would you say is best value for money? Would it be the Asus, because it's newer and on Windows 8? I'm not too fussed by the screen size. Cheers :)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

As far as I can see hey are more or less equal for value. I just prefer the largest screen I can get. I had a 13" Asus laptop. I gave it away, too small. if You get the Toshiba make sure it comes with a optical drive (DVD Burner), I suspect that it is built-in on the ASUS.

Here is something to think about.

Compare battery life

Compare how they look

Look at reviews of both models.

Good Luck

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Redster11

Redster11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hmm does a 13.3" screen look small?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

a 15.6" screen measure 13.6" wide by 7.6" tall.

Better yet go here and look and read http://www.displaywars.com/13,3-inch-16x10-vs-15,6-inch-16x9

This page shows a 13.3" overtop of a 15.6" for comparison.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 Redster11

Redster11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

So is the 13.3" compared to the 15.7" not much of a big difference?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

Think about it that is a diagonal measurement so look at Your monitor if You have a widescreen monitor and going from the bottom left to the top right see how much larger they look. You can use a sheet or cardboard also.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users