Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive letters mixed up?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Striper

Striper

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Once again, I come before the BC Gods begging your assistance.  You've helped me out several times, hope you can do it again.  I'll confess my digital ignorance - so be gentle, but I am pretty decent at figuring things out.

First, a little background:

Rehab'ing an old HP Pavilion a800n running XP.  HD failed, so I replaced it with a new Seagate (same specs as OEM), and also increased RAM to 2gig.  

(You probably know this, but the a800n has the 4 memory card slots, a DVD drive, and a CD-RW drive)

Anyway, loaded XP and all seems fine....except...I noticed my drive letters are screwed up:

Removable Disk (C:)

Removable Disk (D:)

Removable Disk (E:)

Removable Disk (F:)

DVD Drive (G:)

CD-RW Drive (H:)

Local Disk (I:)

For some reason, it assigned the HD last (I:) instead of first (C:).

Again, being less-than-saavy, I figured 'oh well, just have to remember the hard drive is I and not C, no big deal'.  But (and I'm sure you are way ahead of me), as I load and update drivers, etc...I'm learning that it is kind-of-a-big deal.

Although I sort-of knew it wouldn't work, I went into Disk Management, and as I suspected, you can't change the drive letter of the boot drive.

I haven't really loaded anything of significance, so a re-load of XP would be fine...but I imagine it'll just do the same thing.

So, my question: how do I / can I..re-arrange my drive letters?

Thanx! in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

These links may give you some information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/changedriveltr.htm

#3 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanx! for the quick reply GB.  But unfortunately, as these 2 articles point out:

• "Changing the drive letter of the system volume or the boot volume is not a built-in feature of the Disk Management snap-in." and:

"Note: You cannot modify the drive letter of your main partition on your PC."

And I have found this to be true. Rats.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hi, I have seen this. The cure is fairly Simple. The problem is caused by the card reader device. You can try turning it off in the BIOS then install XP.

Or do what I did with those HPs. Open the side of the case, unplug the wire to the motherboard USB port from the Card reader, Install XP, then plug the card reader back in.

That is a common problem with that series of HP desktops. Or Just leave it alone. As You may have noticed it boots up OK.

I always opted to unplug the card reader on those models after I learned they had that quirk.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

You da man rotor!  I was thinking the same thing, but was afraid to try it without someone WAY smarter than me (i.e. you) suggesting it.

I really don't wanna leave it alone.  I found that some things (drivers, etc) will only extract to C:...and it tells me 'Not enough room on C:...", so I'd rather fix it.

Just a couple of questions:

1.  Should I also unplug the DVD and CD-RW drives as well? (and have JUST the HD plugged in?)

2.  After it boots up, and I plug in the card reader (and others)...I presume it will tell me "new hardware detected" or something similar??

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

If you unplug the optical drives what are you going to install from? They can stay, I always unplugged only the Card Reader and if I still had a problem due to two optical drives then I would unplug one of them, that was usually certain older Dell computers and not HPs.

Did You have much trouble finding a hard drive?

Just remember when You unplug the card reader that the cable needs to go back with the orientation, USB connectors only work one way. You could always mark it to be safe or take a photo of it before unplugging it.

Also remove the power first, Many computers still feed 5volts to the USB when off.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 February 2014 - 12:23 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

FWIW:  It doesn't matter...when you boot into Windows, it is C:.  When it's not booted into, it really doesn't matter what drive letter is presented or how the system recognizes storage devices.

Louis

#8 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

LOL!  suppose the drive might be handy for loading XP!  See Roger, that's why YOU'RE the expert  :thumbup2: !! Duh...

The OEM drive was a WD 160gb.  I thought seriously about getting something larger, but this is just a back-back-back up - just "check my email quick"...or "look up something...".  And I've left strict rules for the family that NOTHING is to be stored on it.  So why spend any more money than I have to?

As far as WD - all I could find was 'refurbished', and I kinda wanted NEW.  Luckily, found a Seagate 160gb on ebay pretty easy.

I'll give all this a try tonite, and I'll post the results.

Thanx again.

#9 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

FWIW:  It doesn't matter...when you boot into Windows, it is C:.  When it's not booted into, it really doesn't matter what drive letter is presented or how the system recognizes storage devices.

Louis

Hey Louis!  Not sure if I totally understand ya.  Right now, my C: is one of my card reader slots, which does me no good.

And, although downloading the drivers was no problem, a few of them (for example: the driver for my HP 2009m monitor) wants to automatically 'extract' to C: (I presume because it thinks that is my hard drive?) - and doesn't give me an option to change it.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

OK...I would try the following:

a.  Go to Device Management.

b.  Change the letter assigned to card reader slot...change from C: to W:, D: to X:, and so on:.  Do the same for each slot, in the end you should have W, X, Y, Z for card reader.

c.  Change drive letter for Windows partition from I: to C:.

d.  Reboot, run chkdsk /r command.

How did you install XP?  Where did the media come from?

Louis

#11 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Ooops...got so busy here at work, I haven't had a chance to post an update.

I unplugged the card reader, and reinstalled XP...SUCCESS!  All the drives are labeled correctly.

The only mistake I made ('cause I'm an idiot), was I should have chosen 'repair' the existing XP, instead of doing a new install.  So, it appears I have 2 OS's (I think???)  Doesn't seem to be causing any problems at the moment.

Big THANX to everyone who viewed and offered your expertise!!!!  Much appreciated.

Now I need to figure out why I can't get any sound through the speakers on my HP 2009m monitor.  I think it's a adapter driver issue.  But that's for the External Hardware forum, so I'll prob be posting something over there.

Thanx again - Striper

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Thank You for posting back Your success story. :thumbsup: I apologize for not suggesting that You format the drive since You had mentioned there was nothing important on it.

Just being curious, Your name is not a reference  to the StripersOnline fishing forum or a fishing hobby is it.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Sorry Roger - stepped away for a few days.

Actually (don't laugh...) but I'm kinda obsessed with my landscaping around my house.  Many years ago, someone commented on the "stripes" on my freshly cut lawn (like on a ballfield) - and the name just stuck.

Told you not to laugh...

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

I think that is interesting, Not humorous at all. I have noticed the striping effect for many years.

I also suspect You would be horrified if You saw my front yard right now. Well once that snow covering melts You could see it. One of the Utility companies had to dig in it to find something. They ended up with about a 4 foot from the street into the lawn and from the driveway to the Sidewalk hole, 3 or 4 foot deep. They mentioned a landscaper would be back in a few weeks to fix it. Since then it has pretty much been snow covered and under that is a mound of bare earth with broken tree roots and such sticking out of it.

They took away frontloader's worth of earth. My brother stopped them from removing more to make it level, They got the first one gone before he noticed. He & I are both afraid it will settle and leave a depression in the lawn.

I suppose it could be worse, at least they did not have to remove the sidewalk and driveway. They would have never been able to match the color on that 60+ year old sidewalk. I know they would not have been able to repair the driveway to be a strong as it is and It has been tested with heavy trucks on it.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 Ant.Man

Ant.Man

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

...So, it appears I have 2 OS's (I think???)  Doesn't seem to be causing any problems at the moment....

This is caused by more than one OS entry in C:\boot.ini

This entry can survive formatting and/or partition changes.

Effect:

A 30 second countdown to automatically boot to the default OS.

Solution(s):

Edit C:\boot.ini

Change timeout to 1

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

or _________________

Edit C:\boot.ini

Remove the invalid entry, typically the first line under [operating systems]

The remaining line MUST match the value listed under [boot loader]  (DO NOT change the boot loader text).

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

"quoted text may vary"
If you have a single partition on a single drive, the line above is what you should keep.

A safer method, requires boot from CD and run Recovery Console, bootcfg /rebuild:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm

Detailed information at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff550245%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

bug:  Palemoon (FF) text formatting not persistent.  Color coded text and font selection not shown in post.

Edited by Ant.Man, 05 March 2014 - 01:53 PM.

This is not my signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users