Hello wise people of Bleeping Computer,
I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or not...
I have run into an issue that is apparently outside of my skill set, and would appreciate some help figuring this thing out.
I have a professional ADrive account with about 33GB of data on it. About 20GB is spread out over several zip files that I had uploaded about a year ago. The largest of these files is between 9 and 10GB. The next largest is 6GB, and the rest are 2GB and under. I have been trying to retrieve these files for a week with no success. I HAVE been able to retrieve the smaller individual files what are not zipped up.
I am using a PC running WIndows 7 Home Premium. My internet is 100MB/s DSL which comes in through a Westell 6100G modem and then is routed to a Cisco E900. The modem is bridged to the router. I did turn off the firewall protection yesterday, but am unsure if that was wise to do or not. I do have WIndows Firewall, so I am still protected. I have not altered any other settings because I can't be sure what they all do.
Here is what I am running in to:
• Windows File Explorer will not connect to FTP at all. I have tried Mapping the network drive, and just opening a window and typing addresses in. I get the error "Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder. Details: A connection with the server could not be established." This occurs with any FTP I attempt to connect with, including ftp.microsoft.com.
• I WAS able to connect to my ADrive account through webDAV. I cannot pull anything off of it though that is more than 100 MB. The error I get is "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the folder. If you continue to recieve this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x800700DF: The file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved." The zip file that is throwing this error is only 111MB.
• FileZilla connects, and does attempt to download files. However, I am consistently disconnected and/or timed out. The downloads will start off with download speeds into the 400Kb/s range (which is odd, but awesome) and then normalize down to around 300Kb/s (which is still higher than my normal speeds) and then after a few minutes rapidly decrease down to like 4B/s and then to 0 where it stays until FileZilla aborts the download.
• Internet Explorer 11 will not connect to FTP.
• Google Chrome connects, but I get the same honky download speed behavior that I get with FileZilla, only it doesn't time out as quickly. It still does fail eventually though.
• Adrive downloader on their Website acts the same way Chrome does. I started the download last night before bed, and woke up to a 4GB useless file and a blacked out download screen with no error.
I am certain I am missing something here. ADrive email support has been less than helpful. They say they do not control speeds, and are ignoring my emails now. I could call, but I want to be certain sure that the problem isn't on my end before I call and bark at a live person.
I don't think my ISP is the culprit because other downloads work just fine..it's just when trying to pull files off of online storage. I will admit that I do not have files on another server to check to see if I can retrieve data from there, so I cannot be certain this is limited to ADrive. I DO know that speedtest.net tells me my speeds are right where they should be.
Thanks for reading