Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad and Weak Sectors and hard disk locking up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 morphus.02

morphus.02

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:26 AM

Hi all,

I have been having issues with my old primary hard disk. Basically after being booted for a few minutes any program accessing locks up for several minutes and then dies. At this point the hard disk dissapears from the device manager. When it was running windows this would be followed promptly by a BSOD and a reboot in which the disk was missing from the bios. After a few minutes of the computer not running the disk will appear again and I can access it a little more, though the time and amount of data I can get off it seems to be reducing.

I no longer boot windows from this disk and have been trying to understand the problem to maximise my potential to get the data off the disk before discarding it and have been using HDD sentinal to do this.

This article http://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_weak_sectors.php makes a case that potentially I have no problem with the disk and that running a Reinitialise Disk Surface Test will potentially fix my problems.

This forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509928/bad-and-weak-sectors/ suggests otherwise and states it is a very long running test.

My concern is that I could kill the disk trying to do such repairs and also the case scenario covered by HDD sentinel does not mention anything about the disk hanging and disappearing off both the disk manager, device manager and bios/

This lead me to believe it could be overheating, though it failed at under 35degrees which is not that hot. It also makes me wonder if the circuitry was the issue, since when I do access data, it copies fast and perfectly well right up till the point where it hangs (copying and accessing applications stop responding).

I tried isolating the drive into an older computer with completely different hardware though this did not help. Also there have recently been a few improper power downs which could have excerbated issues.

Finally this disk has beeb causing me problems for a while. With it causing the OS to hang for 30-60 seconds at a time while trying to access data, though it has always recovered perfectly well in the past and never caused BSOD issues before.

I tried making an image of the disk using disk2vhd, though it would not even start reading the affected partitions, though an offline tool might prove more effective.

Attached are the images of the drive state as reported by HDD Sentinel. It tells me I have a 4% health disk and:

"There are 417 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area. The drive found 2751 bad sectors during its self test.

There are 2751 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.

65535" (256^2 or the max for the counter probably) "errors occured during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace cables if possible. It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there."

Basically I am looking for advice on where to go next.

Sound I try and make an image another way, try and fix the disk, or just continually boot and copy files off with shell scripts untill it finally dies? Any advice is appreciated.

Edit: For the record the disk is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 3.AAE 750GB. It is also a repaired HDD.

Also to help out those giving help my level of experience is that of a software developer. (yes I should know better than not having backed up data).

Attached Files

Edited by morphus.02, 27 February 2014 - 12:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

Basically I am looking for advice on where to go next.

Newegg and TigerDirect come to mind...

You may have slightly more joy saving the information off it with a Linux live disk, but it is dying more and more every time you start it. .

#3 morphus.02

morphus.02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

My interest is not in the disk. I have two others and an SSD. It is in the data on it

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2014 - 12:28 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

I would boot into Hirens Boto CD and then boot to XP Mode and then execute a check disk (It might be C: or X: depending on how many drives) or just run that in XP and do a restart.

chkdsk /f /r X:

This will correct any journal entries and also recover any files that may be trunacted.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 27 February 2014 - 12:53 AM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

if the bad sectors are multiplying exponentially, which is what happens at the end, running chkdsk will put a nail in the coffin.

a live linux disk will not demand that the HDD mounts and reads in the same way as Windows... It can be a better way of retrieving information.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

I would boot into Hirens Boto CD and then boot to XP Mode and then execute a check disk (It might be C: or X: depending on how many drives) or just run that in XP and do a restart.

chkdsk /f /r X:

This will correct any journal entries and also recover any files that may be trunacted.

See Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html , Hirens falls into the category mentioned.

Louis

#7 morphus.02

morphus.02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

chkdsk /f /r X:

See Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html , Hirens falls into the category mentioned.

Louis

Cheers and will do.

I am going away for the weekend so probably won't get to have a go till Sunday at the earliest, though thanks.

#8 morphus.02

morphus.02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

chkdsk /f /r X:

Louis

Actually, I take that to mean you advocate for the chkdsk path?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Defintiely not.

What I posted deals with Hirens and other WinPE tools which members are NOT to recommend as a "solution" to anything.

Chkdsk is a file tool...it cannot repair a damaged/failing hard drive...it can only try to repair the file system .  Of course...if the drive is failing, it's pointless to try to repair the file system :).

The post by TsVk! is good advice, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users