Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

asus M5A99X EVO boot device led on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tlssio

tlssio

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

I bought a 3 tb USB external drive from seagate when it is connected i can not boot the computer I went into the BIOS and changed some settings, I disabled the full screen logo  saved and restarted the computer now i get a blank screen and the boot device led is on. I can not get back into the BIOS setup and the computer will not boot.

I am using an ASUS M5A99X EVO board a AMD quad core 4Gig processor with 16 Gigs of 1066 ram. the system has run stable for more than 2 years.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Disconnect the new drive.

Try to boot the system...try to enter the BIOS.  Check the boot settings in the BIOS, ensure that the hard drive is the first boot device.

If USB boot is einabled, disable it.

Louis

#3 tlssio

tlssio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

I apreciate your responce but I recovered the bios with a thumb drive and the computer works fine now. I still have the problem of not being able to boot when my 3TB usb drive is pluged in. the computer will not let me in to the bios or continue the post. if i unplug the drive from the USB and restart it boots fine then I can plug in the 3TB drive and it is recognized and works well.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

FWIW:  It's fairly common for a USB device without an "off" switch...to create boot problems when attached to a system.

If the device has an "on/off" switch, then ensure that it's in the OFF position when the system boots.

Louis

#5 tlssio

tlssio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

thanks I got it you can close this topic.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

Glad you resolved it :).  We don't normally close topics, preferring to make them available to all as possible learning tools.

Happy computing :)..

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users