Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At the end of my wits

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wesintex

Wesintex

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

I hope this is the right area to post this thread.

I have an Alienware M14x with Windows 7

It is running the i7 and has plenty of ram and a solid video card.

This laptop has been amazing for me up until about 2 months ago. It has run every game including games such as Skyrim on Balanced mode without ever switching it over to high performance.

Lately though this laptop has been a peice of crap. I am currently typing this on my 2007 Dimension E520 running XP and it is blowing my laptop out of the water.

My laptop cant play any type of game without lagging horribly. It feels like its on dial up while loading anything having to do with the internet.

How do I go about adressing this without straight formating it and hoping it works out.

I have run:

- Disk Cleaner

- Defrager

- CCleaner

- Registry Cleaned up

- Windows Defender (nothing popped up)

- MalwareBytes (nothing detected)

- Deleted all unneeded programs

- Ensured my Alienware Fx power management wasnt conflicting with Windows 7s.

None of those things made a difference at all.

Is there anything else I can try. Is it possible my laptop has just worn itself out?

About a year ago it was sent to a repair facility when the harddrive went bad. They managed to break a USB port and my disk drive and not fix the harddrive (I had to do that myself since trained and certified technicians are jokes now days at least where I went). Could this incedent have delayed issues that are surfacing now? I feel that this thing should in no way be the way that it is. Considering like I said this 2007 is running great still.

I am unsure if this is a Windows 7 issue, a hardware issue, a virus issue, a program issue. So I put it here. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

most likely an overheating problem. when the internal heat is accumulated beyond comfort levels inside that small space, cpu and gpu throttle down on most machines, which is what may be happening. have you checked for air flow blockage? there is an app that you can get called speccy in the download area here, it is good at relaying internal temperatures. once temperatures go over the 70 celsius range, there is cause for alarm.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

did you run any diags? maybe a ram chip is blown

#4 Wesintex

Wesintex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

What would cause it to start heating up so fast?

In a matter of maybe fifteen to twenty minutes just running the home screen and then downloading the Speedfan program from this site. The GPU was at 62C and the Cores were between 60C and 69 C Which it then warned me was warm considering it was in power save mode. I could hear the fan running, So i am starting to think maybe something with the cooling as gone bad. But what?

How would I go about doing a Diag test to see if the ram is still good?

#5 larryhyman

larryhyman

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

is your laptop on a hard flat surface? when you have a very powerful machine it can get hot... maybe you need an under the laptop fan/tray....

would love it if you posted your speccy results

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

most laptops have openings underneath that the fans use to pull air from. the fans then blow air over the cpu heatsink, which keeps the cpu cooled off. when debris clogs the airflow over the heatsink, heat accumulates to unreasonable levels. you should have a vent on the side or in the rear that the hot air is blown out of, the cpu is just inside that vent. if the vent is indicating a nice firm flow of warm air, that is a good thing. if the vent is emitting a weak flow of hot air, CRISiS  clogged heatsink.  it is all too common.   i advise laptop users all the time to filter the air before it ever gets inside the machine with air filter material adhered snugly over the underneath openings. actually, i do the same thing on my desktops. anywhere that air can be pulled in gets filter material over it to keep the dust out. it isn't pretty, but neither is clogged heatsinks.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

process of elimination my friend.

First thing first is to remove any application you do not need and ecspecially all the OEM software (Accept things like LAN And WiFi drivers). Things like power mapping and cd burnign oftware is not neede from OEM's. I recently did a new Asus laptop that was killing the performance because it had Nortons and all the OEM software on it. once i uninstalled everything this thing flew.

You will then need to defrag as well (Yes i defrag SSD's because Windows 7 (NTFS) was never designed for SSD's so the emulator uses matrix storing which doesnt help with liniar MFT files). Run the folliwing command (cleanmgr /verylowdisk) then make sure you eliminate everythign at runtime using msconfig/Startup and untick everything & hit apply then ok and restart the laptop.

From there i would run the following commands to see when & how it lags and performs (Run dos prompt as admin)

winsat cpu -encryption
winsat cpu -compression

Post results

winsat d3d -dx10 -display on

Copy the last few lines when its finished.

This data will give us soem indication of where we stand with that laptop and if it BSOD while running then we can start thinking of power supply.

Check the device manager for any errors usign this command devmgmt.msc

Also run this comamnd

powercfg -h off

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 27 February 2014 - 12:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users