Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it okay to have my Desktop in the cold?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VRTherriault

VRTherriault

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

I use the attic as a comp room. Heated during the day and stuff by woodstove which is dry heat but during this time of year the room gets cold in the morning, enough to breathe frost but can't be too horrible if I'm sitting in there playing my Comp. xD  I was wondering if this was bad for my Comp or if it was okay?

Edited by VRTherriault, 26 February 2014 - 10:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

It's fine... as long as your machine doesn't freeze or develop frost on it.

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

only thing i can think of that could be a bad thing in cold ambience is condensation, humidity and/or dew point.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

If you look at the specs for many CPUs...you will see a temperature range for the CPU.  Some only reflect a ceiling, some reflect floor and ceiling.

If the room is cold enough to see your breath...I'd suspect that condensation on electronic parts would be your biggest possible inconvenience.  I suspect that such might result in unexprected BSODs or problems when first booting the system.

Louis

#5 Jerieth

Jerieth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

Cold is fine, it can actually be good for you if its running. I would be wary of humidity though, but other than that it shouldn't be a problem. 

Edited by boopme, 02 March 2014 - 09:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users