Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot DL winxp sp3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hello,

I have an old gateway laptop Model MX6436 running xp home edition with svp2 installed, mobile AMD semipron and 448 megs of RAM.

I was having all kinds of trouble,slowness, crashes, nonreponsive programs etc. I did a system recovery hopeing to resolve this problem . The result is a slighly faster machine but still crashes. Keyboard freezes and I have to shut down with the power button. The next step was to try to do a windows update. The following messege appears. "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view". There are some suggestions as to troubleshoot this situation but nothing seems to work. At one time I saw a messege stateing  my computer did not meet the requirements to install sp3.

I am really discouraged and hope some one can shed some light on this.

Thank you for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Hello -

This article is from one of the links at the top of the XP Forum Area - Please read them.

They quote or refer to Microsoft articles regarding updates to XP SP2 and XP SP3

Prerequisites to install Windows XP SP3
Before you start to install Windows XP SP3, make sure that your computer meets the following prerequisites:

1 .Before you download or install Windows XP SP3, first check hard-disk space

Depending on where you obtain Windows XP SP3, you will have to have a minimum amount of space free on the system disk.

I have an old gateway laptop Model MX6436 running xp home edition with svp2 installed, mobile AMD semipron and 448 megs of RAM.

- To install Windows XP SP3 from the Microsoft Download Center, we recommend that you have a minimum of 1,500 megabytes (MB) of free space on the system disk.
- To install Windows XP SP3 from a shared network folder, we recommend that you have about 1,100 MB of free space.
- To install Windows XP SP3 from a CD, we recommend that you have about 1,765 MB of free space.

Personally I think that you answer your own question with the quote above -

It seems that your system is not big enough as it stands, and needs a bit more space.

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

i was once in that predicament. the service pack 3 download is a hefty one, in the 330 mb range. so a stable connection is needed and it might take a while.

the unresponsiveness is prolly due to lack of ram. after the ram is maxed out, the system starts writing to hard drive for memory, which is really slow.  most xp machines fare decently with 1 or 2 gb ram.  most of the time, my xp system is in the 600-900 mb ram usage range with about 40 processes running.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the input.

I have checked for the amount of free space on my C drive and it is 28.9GB. When it is said my system is not "big enough", does that imply that I should add RAM?

I was thinking about doing that anyway because my anti virus program (AVG) keeps popping up with a messege saying something along the lines of "AVG detects high memory usage or very high CPU usage please restart your browser".

If I add 1GB of RAM, do you think that will solve the problem?

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

yes, there is a standard free disk space size that the operating system requires.  28.9 should be enough, i think the range is around 10gb. when you did your system recovery, it could have wiped a few things off like malware and such, but it also re-installed what is affectionely known as bloatware, which is all the original OEM installed extras that reserve RAM space from startup. when i did my system recovery, my first order of business was to go into control panel and/or use the revo uninstaller app that is avalable in the download section here and uninstall what i interpeted as unnecessary.  anyway, the answer is yes, ram needs to be added on i would suggest an additional 1gb..   my xp machine idles around 400mb from startup. and most of the time doesn't go over 1gb usage, but sometimes it does

the avg is probably the background application that is using the most idle ram. i had norton utilities/symantec running in the background myself, and it was using ram beyond the comfort zone. if you pull up task manager, and go to the processes tab, then the mem usage column, if you click on that, it will indicate the processes that is using the ram from largest to least. also, in the download section here, there is a more forensic app called process explorer that can be used to expose the processes in more detail.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Thank you synergy

Yes when the restore process was complete I also removed all programs that I did not want or were so old that they were probably obsolete any way. One product was McAfee AV. I tried to have nothing essential to the running of this computer.

I appreciate your explanation of what might be my problem and your suggestion as what might possibly correct it. I will install 1GB of RAM and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users