Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malicious program on windows 7 OS CD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 insightful2014

insightful2014

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

i have the windows 7 installation cd and when it was in my cd drive someone got onto my computer. I imagine they could have downloaded a malicious program onto it; i'm guessing the OS cd has no greater protection than any other cd but am not sure.

when they have downloaded malicious content onto my computer in the past, it almost always is NOT a virus, but a program or something that allows them remote access to my computer.

I don't want to reinstall windows with an installation cd that might be infected.

So i guess my main question is....is the installation cd vulnerable to malicious content being installed on it?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

Nothing can be transferred to a commercially pressed optical disc. If the install disc had been burned (eg an online purchase downloaded from Digital River) onto a non-finalized R or RW disc, then in theory something could be added to the contents. However creating an installation disc from an ISO should create a finalized installation image the same as the commercial disc. So I can't envisage a way that anything malicious could be inserted into the disc, but someone else may have further thoughts.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

Hello -

i have the windows 7 installation cd and when it was in my cd drive someone got onto my computer. I imagine they could have downloaded a malicious program onto it; i'm guessing the OS cd has no greater protection than any other cd but am not sure.

Main question must be, What / Why was a Windows Install CD /DVD sitting in the drive ??

If you were installing Windows 7 then I do not think that you would just leave it there -

Please correct me if I have misread your post, but it just seems very odd.

Considering that (on average) an install of Windows 7 takes a minimum of 3, and up to 5 CDs / DVDs. Just my recovery version is 3 DVDs (from the maker).

So I do not think that you had a full install CD / DVD of Windows 7 in your computer .....

If you think that someone has downloaded Malicious content to your computer, please follow these steps.

If you need more assistance, please Fully read and follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help starting at Step 6.

NOTE - If you are unable to complete any step, still post the topic and leave a full description of your problems.

When you have done that, start a new topic and post the required logs to  Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT Here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Please Use Copy and Paste for your responses, and Do Not Attach them unless your helper requests this.

If HelpBot responds to your topic, please follow his Step #1 so the team will be notified.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users