Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Stream Videos or Load Pictures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paperman299

Paperman299

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

So my laptop worked fine until a couple days ago. Then, suddenly, it couldn't stream any videos. Netflix stops at 49%. Youtube videos last around 9 seconds before stopping. Then I noticed that not even pictures were always loading properly. They'd be cut off by a stripe of static like you'd see watching an old VHS tape, or pieces would be discolored and rearranged, or they wouldn't load at all. 

I've tried everything I can think of. So far, I've
- restored my system (twice, the second time to well before the problems started)

- run Norton Antivirus 

- run Spybot 

- run disk cleanup 

- defragged my hard drive 

- cleared all my temporary Internet files

- /run msconfig and disabled all my startups

The only progress I've made so far is one minor discovery. Right after rebooting my computer, when I open Chrome, I can stream videos fine for a few seconds. Then the issue reasserts itself, and at the same moment I receive five windows from Chrome all telling me, "Your profile can not be used because it is from a newer version of Google Chrome. Some features may be unavailable. Please specify a different profile directory or use a newer version of Chrome." Though I have this same problem with Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, I followed the window's instructions and updated Chrome, with no effect. 

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC with Windows 7, with 6 GB of RAM. My internet connection is stable and gives me no problems, ie computer games still play fine. I've been fiddling with this for two days now and gotten nowhere, ANY advice would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Worth A Look .

Louis

#3 Paperman299

Paperman299
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

I gave this a try, and though the error messages have gone, the problem remains. I want to stress here that this is a problem that occurs no matter which Internet browser I am using. Most of the advice online concerning this sort of issue targets browser issues, which is why I'm here. 

#4 Paperman299

Paperman299
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Alright, based on some info from Daniweb, I've tracked the problem down to my Windows user profile. By switching to another user, the problem disappears. I have no idea how to fix this, but I suppose I can create another Administrator user and go off that now. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Your profile is probably damaged...simply follow the bouncing ball to create a replacement.

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2014 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users